I Want To Know You

A/N: Yo, LilyTheNinjaGirl again. I wrote this oneshot in two hours, finishing at 12am. I also had to take the SAT the next day. Word of advice, don't stay up until 12am writing a oneshot when you have the SAT the next day..... But I think I did pretty well on it so that's okay. I clumsily proofread and edited this a few minutes ago. Generally I ask one of my good friends to read through and spot mistakes but I was like "Eh." Idk how I feel about this oneshot.....

Anyway, I feel like we have a big gap between Jacob's obliviation and Newt's departure from New York, and I kinda wanted to fill it. Also, seeing as Tina is an Auror, I feel like she is the kind of person who notices little details. I also feel like she has a natural curiosity and she can't stand when she doesn't understand things (like a difficult case, or perhaps a certain Magizoologist). And while people portray Tina as shy and maybe a little awkward, I feel like she's the kind of person who would question the things that she didn't understand and have no problem going out and getting answers.

That being said, I also love picturing Newt as our hurt little cinnamon roll who needs hugs and hot cocoa and kind words. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a sob story and pretty face, and HE'S JUST SO SWEET!.

I hope you enjoy!

Tina didn't know much about Newt's past. She didn't know what his family was like. She didn't know what his school years were like. She didn't know much about Leta Lestrange, whose picture Newt carried in his case. She honestly didn't know much about Newt other than his penchant for magical creatures. She didn't know what his favorite season was, she didn't know what his favorite book was, and she didn't know what his favorite food was. All things she thought friends should know about each other.

She didn't even know if he trusted her completely.

But she wanted to know. She wanted to know him so badly. Because maybe if she knew more about him and his past, she could help him. Because the one thing that she did know was that Newt was hurting.

It was easy to tell. There are a lot of people in the world that are shy and awkward. They don't have a knack for public speaking, they don't like being in the center of attention, and they can't really find the right words to say when having a conversation. But Newt... He was clearly more than just shy.

He hid from the people around him. Not like physically hiding his entire self in or behind something. But he hid his true personality. He used his bangs as a shield so that he wouldn't have to look people in the eye. When he did make eye contact he dropped it within seconds. He hunched his shoulders to make himself look smaller and less noticeable. He talked so quietly that sometimes she had to ask him to repeat things.

And that was when he actually talked. He didn't speak unless he had something important to say, and even then he looked hesitant.

At first she thought that's just who Newt was as a person. Until she saw him inside of his case, away from the prying eyes of humans and all alone with his creatures. Even when she, Queenie, and/or Jacob were there he was more open and expressive in his case. He talked more, and he talked with confidence. He had no problem moving around, standing tall and boldly facing creatures that could rip him to shreds. He performed mating dances and made bellowing noises. No simply shy person would do that with other people nearby. There had to be something deeper to it.

Her suspicions were confirmed a few days before he left for England. She had come down in his case to tell him that breakfast was ready. She had caught sight of him, sitting on the lush grass and playing with a few of his Occamies. She paused, knowing that he didn't know she was there yet, and allowed herself to observe him in what she had started to consider "his natural habitat".