Not the Way it Works - Chapter One

Marinette ran down the wet pavement of the sidewalk, her umbrella flying in the wind, causing drag, in turn making her slow down.  Her umbrella was pretty much useless, so she closed it as she ran.  Her feet made splishing noises as she ran in the rain.

     "Oh, why am I late again?  Always late!" she thought as she rounded the corner and tore up the stairs to the school

     "Oh, why am I late again?  Always late!" she thought as she rounded the corner and tore up the stairs to the school.  By the time she got in the doors, she was soaked clear through.  Cold and wet, she walked to her locker to put her backpack and umbrella inside.  She was late anyway.  What were a few more minutes?

     "Marinette, you need to get your priorities straightened out!  This is the third time you've been late this month!"  Tikki flew out of the bag, flying in circles to dry herself off.  Her tone had been stern, yet squeaky and cute.  It's hard to take a small, cute Kwami like Tikki seriously sometimes.

     "I'm sorry, Tikki.  I know I should be trying harder.  But I don't have time anymore!"  At that, Tikki laughed.  Marinette had been looking at pictures of Adrien all morning and had rushed her routine because of it.

     The bell rang.  The first period was over.  She had missed all of the first period!  She got out her things for the second period, but almost dropped everything when she saw a black butterfly come in through an open window.

     "An Akuma!"  Tikki whispered, peeking out of Marinette's small satchel.

     "I know!  I wonder who it's coming for,"  Marinette hissed back.  She slammed her locker closed, several pictures of Adrien falling off magnets on the inside.  Running after the Akuma, she wasn't looking where she was going and smacked right into the back of a certain blonde someone with a white jacket.

     "OMIGOSH I AM SO SORRY I SMACKED INTO YOU!!!"  Marinette practically screamed.  Adrien just laughed.

     "I'm glad to know the Akuma isn't coming for you!"  He laughed some more.  

     Marinette looked confused, so Adrien explained

     Marinette looked confused, so Adrien explained.  "The Akuma is chasing the school Janitor because Chloe threw pudding on him."

     Smiling a smile way to wide for her face, Marinette laughed.  "Chloe is the start of practically all the Akuma attacks."

     Adrien agreed with her and then ran off, saying he needed to be somewhere else.  That seemed puzzling to Marinette, but she just watched him run off.  The way his hair swayed when he ran, the way his clothes ruffled with the rise and sinking of every step, the way his feet hit the floor in an even rhythm.  These were the things she was sure only she paid attention to, but they were some of the things she loved about him.

     Tikki's sharp voice broke Marinette's trance.  "MARINETTE!  Didn't you hear what Adrien said?  There's an Akuma!!!"

     "Heh.  Yeeeeah."  Marinette's voice slid with the slide of a starstruck girl who just got knocked off her feet by the man of her dreams.

     "You are such a smitten kitten!"  Tikki joked.  "But you still need to transform and go fight the Akuma!"

     Sighing happily, Marinette danced into the bathroom, entering a stall.  "Tikki, Spots On!"  A flash of red and she was gone.  Marinette was gone.  The clumsy, lovestruck girl was gone.  What stood in her place now was a powerful, clever, strong, confident young woman who was ready to fight alongside her partner for the good of everyone around them.  The good of Paris.  The good of them all.