Not the Way it Works - Chapter Five

"W-What do you mean, Chat?  What do you mean, you know everything?  What did Alya tell you?  Have you two been conspiring against me?  Please don't tell my parents I eat raw cookie dough on occasion!  Alya's the only one I told and -"

     Chat Noir laughed.  "Calm down, Mari.  That's not the secret I'm talking about, although I have to admit, I've done it many times, too."

     Marinette looked more and more worried by the second.  Tikki hid behind her, holding her breath.  Chat Noir had pursued Ladybug's identity!  And from the sound of his voice, he knew it was Marinette.

     "What are you talking about, then?"

     Chat sighed.  Marinette held her breath, not wanting to admit it.  He didn't look disappointed.  Maybe he knew her in real life.  Maybe he knew how clumsy and stupid she could be.  Maybe he would use this information to be mean to her, make fun of her.

     "Marinette, Princess, I think you know."

     "No...no I don't.  I'm sure I don't."

     Chat looked annoyed.  "Just admit it, Ladybug."

     Marinette backed away slowly.  She pressed up against the wall.  Her heart was beating faster; she couldn't breathe.  She couldn't hyperventilate in front of Chat.  He'd know he was right.

     "I'm not L-Ladybug..."

     Chat looked at the floor to his left.  Tikki was curled up in a ball, trying not to be seen.  He picked her up gently and said carefully, "It's okay, Tikki.  You can come out now."

     Tikki uncurled, shaking out her antennae.

     "No...no, it's not true!  You can't know!  You can't...know..."  Marinette started gasping.  She was hyperventilating.

     "Calm down, Mari, Princess.  It's okay.  How are you feline?  How are mew?"

     Marinette stopped hyperventilating slowly and looked Chat in the face.  "The puns?  Really, Chat?"

     "I had to, M'Lady.  Anyways, there's something I'd like to show you."  He pulled Marinette up.

"  He pulled Marinette up

     "Claws off."

     Adrien stood before Marinette.  She gaped at him, a wide blush across her face.  A high pitched screaming sound escaped from her.  She eventually calmed down, but she still couldn't believe it was Adrien this whole time.  She forgot all about the fact that he knew she was Ladybug.

     "I'm sorry I yelled at you, Chaton."

     "You are forgiven, M'Lady.  But why did you think I would be disappointed?  You're, like, one of my best friends.

     "I...I am?"

     "Of course, Bugaboo."

  I hope you liked this little fanfiction!  Thank you for reading!  Have a nice day and stay pawsome!    ;3