Chapter Fifteen - Fly, Mockingjay, the World is Watching

It leaped out at me, knocking me off of my feet, causing me to land, rather heavily, on my tailbone. This caused pain to suddenly run up and down my spine as I scrambled away, still clutching onto my bow.  I had to stifle a scream as it bared its long, sharp teeth. This was some form of mutt, and I guessed it was the one that had caused the death of the mangled tribute. But there was no time to decode whether this was the cause of the mangled tribute or not, seeing as it was gnashing at my face, threatening to kill me.

This 'it' seemed to be some form of lion, except it was much bigger and I didn't think lions had thick scales on their chest and stomach area. I didn't know if it had scales under its mane, but I knew and I could see that it didn't have any on its face, probably because it had its teeth to protect it. But I didn't get a chance to check, because it pinned me down suddenly, its claws digging into my shoulders. It was growling at me, scaring me, provoking me. It then moved in for the bite, ready to kill me. I managed to let out a scream, but it was muffled and cut short as the creature fell onto me, crushing me from underneath its body weight. I groaned as I lay there, pinned down by this mutt's body. Its teeth had only been about a millimetre above my chest, I had felt its hot breath on me and had thought that death had nearly come. I managed to raise my head enough from the ground to see that a girl was running away, her long, chocolate coloured hair blowing in the wind after her.

I grunted and managed to push the dead creature off of me, to see a long and gaping wound in its back. My best guess was that she had killed the beast. She had saved my life. I needed to thank her, or at least show my appreciation!

I scrambled to pick up my bow, before I took off after her, tearing through the woods to see if I could find the girl that had saved me from being mauled to death by a lion mutt. I made sure to keep a consistent pace, seeing as there could have been many of those mutt things and I didn't want to die quite yet, especially if it was by being eaten.  

I pushed my legs until I caught a sight of the girl. I gritted my teeth and ran after her. She was running straight towards a tree and it was definitely going to knock her out.

"Wait, no!" I called out to her. But she didn't seem to hear me at all. Either that, or she was ignoring me on purpose. She didn't move out of the way of the tree, in fact, she ran straight towards it. I gasped and quickened my pace, but she threw herself towards the tree and immediately started scrambling upwards. She was good. I guessed this was he only way I was going to get to her.

So I ran towards the tree, locked my jaw like I had done in the bloodbath, and threw myself to the tree, clinging onto it for dear life. Once I knew I was gripping tightly enough, I then started to climb up it as fast as I could. I still saw the girl, she was looking down at me curiously from a branch. But as soon as she realised I was coming after her, she continued to leap from branch to branch, desperately trying to get away from me. In that split second, I had caught sight of her face. I recognised her to be the girl from District 11, roughly about fifteen years old. She was quite tan, probably from working in the sun for so long, and her hair was a beautiful chocolate colour. It glimmered in the sunlight as she scarpered away from me. Her jacket was a dark brown, which confirmed she was from District 11.

"I'm not going to hurt you!" I called out to her as I jumped onto a branch and started scurrying along it, jumping onto another branch. It probably didn't look like I wasn't going to hurt the girl from her point of view, seeing as I was chasing after her with a bow in my hand. Plus, I had the highest score. That has got to mean I am deadly, right? Well, I'm not. "Please, come back! We can't do this all day!"

The girl paused on her branch, balancing on her toes. She looked like she was about to jump, but she was considering not jumping higher. I sped up and leapt onto her branch. I slowly walked towards her, hands raised. I still held my bow in my hand, but I held it far away from me.