Chapter 2

This is my gift, my curse.

Peter was wheeled into the medical bay fast as Bruce did an MRI scan and a CAT scan on him. Tony and Steve held hands nervously as they watched their son being scanned.

Never in their life had they once thought that they'd be standing and looking at their son getting an MRI or CAT scan at all.

They were both worried and held their breaths as they watched Bruce programme the control panel. Once the CAT scan did it's job, an x-ray of Peter's brain had popped up onto the little screen and Bruce frowned.

Tony who had noticed Bruce's expression change from worried to even more worry had craned his neck to look at the screen. His eyes widened as he saw Peter with a brain tumor.

"No. How?" Tony was shaking. Steve had no idea what he was talking about, having been born from the forties.

"What? What is it Tony? Is Peter going to be okay?" He was looking confused as he stared back between Bruce and Tony who were both quiet.

"What happened?" Tony was visibly trembling as he walked over to Steve. He looked pale and Steve took that as a bad sign. "P-Peter has a B-Brain T-Tumor." Tony managed to stutter out before collapsing into tears onto Steve's shoulder.

Steve was speechless. He was having a minor heart attack and was panting hard. Bruce went over to Steve and placed his hands on his shoulders looking concerned.

"Steve. You're hyperventilating. Calm down. Just breathe." But Steve could not breathe, no matter how hard he tried. It was as if his lungs had somehow forgotten how to breath.

His lungs were both gasping for air. He looked at Bruce, his eyes wide open. And Tony who was staring and saying something. But he could not hear them. Then he sucked in a huge gulp of breath and he could hear.

Tony was hugging him, speaking soothing words into his ear. Steve looked at Peter, like if he blinked, his son would disappear. This was not how he had imagined his day would be.