One Shot

TRING.... TRING .....

'Yaay.' All the kids exclaimed in happiness. A young teacher turned around from the blackboard. More than the students, the teacher is relieved with the final bell of the day.

'Okay, class.' The teacher began removing her glasses, with the hem of her floral chiffon Saree she wiped sweat beads off her face. She opened her eyes and gasped seeing the entire class empty.

'Stupid kids.' She said bitterly and picked up the books.

'Hey, Rashi, wait up.' A six-year-old boy huffed trying to match pace with his best friend, Rashi Shekawat. The girl turned and smiled at him.

'Hey, Dev.' She greeted him. Dev joined her and together they walked towards the Mini-Van which was their school bus.

Dev and Rashi were not only classmates but also neighbors. They were friends since they were three, they had met at a daycare. After that there is no turning back, they are best of friends and confidants.

Dev stepped aside and let Rashi climb the bus first and then he followed. Rashi looked for a seat and made way for Dev to take the window seat. He loves window seats. Dev smiled gratefully and sat. Rashi removed her bag and sat beside him. She adjusted her water bottle around her neck and looked down at her shoes. They are clean, good.

There is still time for the bus to start and to kill time Dev decided to start a conversation, - 'What are you doing over the weekend?'

Rashi thought for a while and then replied, - 'Nothing, Maybe Papa will take me to wonderland.' She smiled thinking of all the fun rides. Though she has gone to that place gazillion times she still loves it. She then looked at Dev, - 'And you?'

Dev smiled and then said, - 'I am going to my grandparent's place.' – Rashi's face fell when he mentioned about his Dada and Dadi and all the fun things he does there. Rashi has no Dada and Dadi. Dev noticed her fallen face and decided to lighten her mood.

'You know what Rashi. I forgot to tell you. My Mamma and Papa said me last night that I am going to have a baby sister.' He said brightly. Rashi gasped, her face lit up.

'Wow! Is your mom having a bulging belly? I have seen mom's to be with bulging belly.' Rashi was very excited.

'Not yet, it was only a few weeks ago I was insisting, and they fulfilled my wish only yesterday.' Dev informed.

Rashi felt jealous as Dev gushed about getting a little sister who he will pamper and play with.

'Your parents are the best.' She said sadly.

#########

'Hey, my bacha. How was school?' Sanyukta asked happily as her little munchkin entered the bungalow.

'Yeah, good.' Rashi replied dryly and dropped her bag on the floor. Sanyukta frowned.

'What happened?' She enquired. Rashi shook her head and muttered.

'Nothing.'

Sanyukta watched her climb upstairs. She isn't liking the sad face of her daughter and got worried.

#########

Dinner time,

Rashi played with peas on her plate, a bored expression on her face. She sighed and looked up. Her eyes darted from her father, who is stealing glances at her mother and her mother who is blushing and twirling the spoon with her fingers.