Chapter Thirty-Nine

I took my time in the Asian supermarket, getting everything I needed. I was parched and starving, so I chucked a bottle of water into the basket along with a couple of Chinese hot dog buns from the bakery section. I decided to spring for some Panadol as well, maybe take the burn out of my ribs. Then I dropped by the homewares aisle and spent a couple of minutes browsing up and down. I finally selected a length of yellow clothesline and a stiff boning knife. I tried not to think about how good the knife felt in my hand. I paid at the checkout with more of Malcolm’s cash, then tossed most of the items into my backpack while I tore into the bun.

Night had fallen, and the crowds had already started to descend on K Road. No one hassled me as I navigated among the swirling club-goers to the dodgier end of the street. The crowds thinned out. I loitered in a shop doorway for a couple of seconds as a middle-aged gay couple passed, then I ducked down the alley that led to the car park behind Deepest Desires.

I recognised the red sedan sitting alone in the dark car park. It had been burned into my memory. No sign of a car that might belong to Dennis. But that was okay. I could be a patient guy.

It occurred to me that this was stupid, that I had a number for a detective in my pocket that would probably listen and at least haul Dennis in long enough to screw with him a bit. I had the evidence. And I would do that, eventually. First I wanted to take my pound of flesh.

And I had an idea how to get to Dennis.

I stayed in the shadows of the alley for a moment, checking things out. The parking lot was unlit, little more than concrete and weeds and broken beer bottles and scattered stones. One side of the parking lot backed onto the building, and the rest was fenced off except for the driveway. Nothing moved. Satisfied I wasn’t going to get ambushed, I crossed the parking lot and tried the doors of Malcolm’s car. Locked. But there were no flashing lights inside to indicate an active alarm.

I found a nice sized rock on the edge of the parking lot. Came back, made a guess which direction he’d be coming from. I decided the rear left window was my best bet. I glanced around again, watched the street for a moment. No one. I steadied my ribs, hefted the rock in my good hand, and tossed it at the window. It bounced off.

Goddamn it. I looked around to make sure the sound hadn’t brought me any attention. No one came running, so I went and found a bigger rock. My ribs groaned as I hurled it. The tinkle of shattering glass echoed through the car park. A thrill went through me.

I didn’t stop to look around this time. I reached in and snapped the lock up, opened the door, then pulled the rock back out and used it to clear away the shards around the window frame. It was dark; if no one looked too close they might not realise it was broken for a few seconds. That was all I needed. I wrapped my sleeve around my hand and brushed out the glass from the back seat and the floor. Good enough.

I went through my phone contacts and found the number for Malcolm that Jo had given me. I dialled and pressed the phone to my ear. My heart thumped softly.

“Yeah?” Malcolm said.

“I’ve got something of yours.”

A pause. “Who is this?”

“Take a guess.”

“I gave you a fair warning, kid. I really did.”

My shattered fingers stung. “I hear someone stole your laptop the other day. Be a pity if you had some delicate information on there. Be a pity if someone cracked your encryption with the code he found in your wallet.”

He sighed. “What do you want?”

“To talk. Taylors Park. Ten minutes. If you’re not there in eleven, the file’s going to the cops.”