Chapter 9: Where Is Asher?

Alice whispered in Asher's ear before they were separated, "I love you, Asher Parker.  Come back to me.  You said you would always fight back to me.  I promise I will be there when you wake up."  She was rolled into a hospital room after she provided her's and Asher's name to the admitting nurse.  Tara and Nick were then informed by the doctor that their daughter and Asher were just admitted.  They asked, "What happened to them?"  Alice finally passed out due to exhaustion after her adrenaline wore off.  She was only at the hospital for observation to make sure she didn't have a concussion. 

Tara and Nick informed Jeremy, Penny, and Max about what just occurred then hurried to their daughter's side.  Alice was in a dreamless sleep.  She kept worrying about Asher.  Her thoughts were, "What if he didn't make it?  That psycho is after me, not Asher.  Why did this have to happen to us?  Please be okay Asher...I love you."  She tossed and turned while her thoughts kept streaming constantly then she woke up.  Her mom and dad hugged her tightly.  All Alice said was, "Where is Asher?  Can I see him?  Is he okay? He needs to be fine!  I can't be without him!  He shielded me from harm and was about to fight the black hoodie guy as he was bleeding out to protect me."  She was crying uncontrollably and couldn't be consoled. 

Jeremy spoke, "You know Asher is like Superman.  He made it through surgery.  He survived a gunshot wound and a car wreck. I know we didn't get along in the past but he is a good guy.  He will wake up soon, Alice."  Penny agreed with him and said, "He is breathing on his own now but they won't let anyone see him yet."  Tara and Nick spoke, "Max is doing okay but had no clue about who shot him since he has short term memory loss."  Alice recalled seeing the license plate and said, "I saw the black hoodie guy's car plate. It was #1 teacher.  I remembered that Carly mentioned in her journal how she hated history 300 class.  Do you think Wallace Burke is the black hoodie guy?" 

Nick soothed his daughter by saying, "We will check it out but someone could have borrowed the car to frame the owner of the car.  It may not be Wallace Burke's car.  Don't assume anything until we have all of the facts.  Let me and your brother handle it."  Alice nodded and then started to get up from the bed.  She said, "I am going to see Asher before I go crazy."  Tara chuckled and said, "This is definitely my daughter!  She has got my feisty-ness."  Nick concurred by saying, "Yes she does get that from you my dear!" 

Jeremy asked, "Are you sure you can walk okay after what happened?  Do you need a shoulder to lean on?"  Alice replied, "I am doing fine Jeremy.  You need to keep your arm on your future girlfriend.  Looks like Max is flirting with her."  Jeremy turned to see Max walking around with Penny laughing and carrying on about something.  He sighed then said, "Let me know how Asher is holding up.  I am here for you."  She gave him a weak smile then went to find Asher's room.  She asked the nurse to see if he could have visitors. 

Alice was happy that she could finally see Asher.  She walked over to his bed side.  Asher looked peaceful but she knew better.  He was trying to come back to her.  The tubes and machines he was plugged up to made it all scary and unpredictable.  Alice said as cheerfully as she could, "I love you so much!  You won't believe what Jeremy said about you.  He said you were Superman that you survived a car wreck and gun shot wounds."  She kept talking to him for an hour about how they have a lot to look forward to in the future and how she thinks Wallace Burke is the black hoodie guy. 

Eventually, she leaned down to give him a kiss.  As soon as their lips touched she felt him kissing her back.  Asher Parker, the guy that stole her heart and was her whole entire life came back to her.  It truly was a miracle.  He had broken ribs, also an incision on his stomach where he was shot before by the black hoodie guy. It had reopened during the crash.  Alice was pulled into the bed by Asher.  He wrapped his arms around her and said, "I told you, kitten, that everything would be fine.  I am just so happy you are okay, Alice.  I love you too!  I heard you talking to me and that is what brought me back to you."  They kept kissing each other urgently. 

Alice got up and said excitedly, "I have to tell everyone that you are okay!"  She turned to leave when Asher grabbed her hand.  He said with a cute pouty face, "Can you text them instead of leaving the room?"  Alice grinned saying, "That is an even better idea!"  She texted them to come to Asher's room.  Jeremy was yelling outside Asher's room at Penny saying, "Really?  You want me to date you when you are busy flirting with Max?"  Penny scoffed at him then countered, "You still aren't over Alice so why can't I date other people since we aren't officially together?"  Max interjected saying, "I wasn't flirting with her!  Penny was the one doing that!  I still love Carly!  She was the only girl I have ever loved!"  Jeremy said, "I know Max. Penny, I still may have a small amount of feelings for Alice but I am only her friend.  I understand that Asher and Alice were suppose to be together.  I was too stupid and bitter to see that which is not the way to be.  I think we should just be friends, Penny.  You are a nice girl but maybe you are not for me." 

Alice went outside Asher's door to say, "We can hear you all the way in the room.  Can you guys forget about this petty talk?  It is not worth being mad at each other, especially after almost losing Asher twice.  It is a miracle that he and Max survived what the black hoodie had planned."  Asher yelled from the room, "I agree with kitten!  We are all in this together and have been through a lot."  They were all on edge which made them say things they normally wouldn't say.  Penny and Jeremy made up and became official.  Max was slowly starting to remember who the person was that shot him.