Chapter 4 - Part 1

I stepped forward and grabbed him by the back of the neck and yanked him away from Neve

"What the—" Mr. Moron said as I spun him around. I closed my hand around his throat. I wanted to kill him, the anger inside me wanting me to put my hands on him and let my energy smother the life inside of him. Before, there wouldn't have been any thinking, he would have been dead already. Anger raged inside of me like a wildfire.

"Mason," I heard Neve whisper.

My hand tightened, cutting off his oxygen and he clawed at my hand, fighting for his survival.

"Mason," she gasped.

My eyes found her lying on the floor. Her eyes were wide as she watched me. I battled against my need to tighten my hold on his neck and squeeze it till he stopped breathing. I wanted to so badly.

"Stop," Neve whispered as she tried to sit up, her face grimacing in pain. "I'm okay," she tried to reassure me, but I wasn't blind. She could barely sit up. Pure anger spread through me.

I turned my gaze back to Mr. Moron, who was still gasping for breath. A cold smile spread across my face as my eyes bore into his. The evil inside of me that I'd kept at bay seeped into me.

"If you ever come near her again I will kill you," I assured him in a deadly tone. His eyes widened.

"Mason," Neve whispered again. Her voice pulled me back and I felt the evil slip back into the deepest, darkest place inside of me. She'd managed to keep me from killing him but there was no way he was making it out unscathed.

My fist connected with his face. I let go of his neck and he dropped to the floor. He was out cold but at least he was still breathing. He had Neve to thank for that. I tightened my fist but the sound of a whimper brought my attention back to Neve.

I knelt down beside her. The side of her face was bruised already and her right eye was starting to swell. She winced and clutched her side as she tried to stand up. He'd hit her multiple times. It took all the control I had not to turn around and beat the shit out of him.

"Please, I can't let Tyler see this," she whispered. Her eyes met mine. A tear slid down her face. I laid her back down on the floor and reached for my phone.

Her brother picked up on the third ring.

"Neve's running late and asked if I could give her a lift home later," I lied. It was such a weak excuse and I didn't expect Tyler to buy it.

"Okay," he replied after a few moments of hesitation. I could hear he was confused as to why she would be asking me for a lift. In the short time I'd been a part of the Archaic group, I'd noticed he was extremely protective over his sister and I could hear the hesitation in his voice.

"Sure. Tell her I'll see her at home." Then he ended the call. I was surprised it had been that easy.

A groan from Neve pulled my attention back to her. I shoved my phone in the back pocket of my jeans. I had no idea what the impact of healing her would have on her but there was no way I was going to do nothing and leave her in pain.