Chapter 13 : Song practice

Chapter 13

The next day...

Riker POV    

I was laying on the couch downstairs, listening to my siblings talking about what they're going to do about our band because I still don't really remember much of anything. 

My head was in Liv's lap. She was a little upset this morning because she was homesick, but I comforted her, and she's ok now.

"Riker, have you remembered anything? Like anything at all?" Rydel asked.

"Um... I don't think so... It's really hard to know what I already knew and what I remembered. I mean... I know a lot of stuff because you told me. I know all of your names. I know you're my siblings and best friend."

"This is the issue, Riker... Before we went to Bora Bora, dad booked us a show. The show is in about a week. And we really don't want to cancel. But if you can't remember, I don't know how we're going to do it," Rocky said.

"I'm sorry... I'm trying to remember. I just don't know how."

"We know, Riker. We're just going to need to figure something out," Rydel said.

I felt bad. I'm going to be the reason the show gets canceled. 

Liv started playing with my hair. 

"Let me see if I can help Riker remember any of our songs. It's worth a shot," Ross said.

I got up, and followed Ross to our recording room. Liv came too because I wanted her there for moral support. 

"So... This is my idea. You don't necessarily have to remember who you are. But maybe you remember some of our songs. There's this thing called muscle memory. So maybe your fingers will remember how to play bass, and hopefully the songs will sound familiar to you."

Ross handed me my bass. He got himself a guitar, and started playing some of our songs for me.

"Did any of them sound familiar?" Ross asked.

"I think so."

"Which ones?"

"This is going to sound funny because I can't remember stuff, but the one that sounded most familiar was the one that I think was called something like I Can't Forget About You."

"Alright, cool. That's one of our most popular songs. Let's take it slow, and go through it. And maybe you'll remember."

Later...

Riker POV

Ross and I worked on songs for hours. We only stopped for bathroom breaks and dinner.

I could play a few songs pretty good. It was weird because once Ross helped me out a little, my fingers just seemed to know what to do.

But I was exhausted now. My brain hurts. And so does my back from sitting up straight all day long.

"Family meeting!" Someone called.

Liv and I went downstairs to the living room. We sat on the couch next to each other. 

"So, let's talk about the concert in a week," Ross said.

I was slightly nervous.

"Riker and I worked on some songs today. He remembers a few of them. Even though he might not remember anything else about himself, we might be able to fake it in front of the fans. We'll just play the songs he knows. I think this could actually work."

"How do you feel about it, Riker?" Rydel asked.

"Um... Nervous?"

"Why are you nervous?" Rydel asked.

"What if I screw up the whole concert?"

"Riker, we can practice the songs some more before the concert. We have a week. And you did really good today. You'll probably do even better by the concert. We'll practice, and you won't screw up," Ross said.

I sighed.

"Ok. I guess I can try. But you guys have to help me."

"We will," Rydel said, putting her arm around me.

"Thank you..."

"Alright, I'm going to bed. I'm tired," Ross said, getting up.

Everyone else left for the night too. Liv and I went up to my bedroom. We both got in my bed, and cuddled.

"Are you nervous for the concert still?" Liv asked.

"Yeah. I know my siblings will help me. But it's still kind of scary. And it's kind of weird to like... trust them. Like, I know they're my siblings because they told me they were. And obviously, I should trust them. But I don't remember them, and they feel like strangers to me. It's weird to just automatically trust strangers. You're like the only person I actually know."

"I know it must be pretty hard for you to just jump into a lifestyle you don't remember. But I think you'll do great at the concert."

"I hope so. I'm just scared I'll forget stuff and screw everything up."

"I don't think you will. And if you do, so what? Mistakes happen."

I yawned. I'm exhausted.

"Stay with me tonight?" I asked, quietly.

"Ok."

I got into a more comfortable position, and pulled the blankets up a little more. And within minutes, I was asleep.