Chapter 11

The men dragged me into a small enclosed room with a table that had restraints on it. They pressed me down on the table and started to clip the metal loops around my ankles. One was starting my left hand when a voice called from the hallway. Both of the men hurried out of the room before the voice could call again.

I easily slipped my hand out of the metal loop the board didn't secure. I noticed a small incision knife on a small table along with syringes. I stretched my arm out to grab it. My fingers just brushed the edge. Carefully, I edged the knife closer and I grabbed it.

I took the knife and cut my skin where the bump was on my neck. I flinched at it's cold touch, but continued to press down. Slowly, I took hold of a small, slippery, ball shaped thing. I quickly threw it to one side of the room as I heard voices approaching the door. I tucked the knife under my body and moved my hair to hide the cut. The door opened and revealed a man in a white lab coat.

"What are you going to do to me? Try to convince me to come to your side?" I scowled at my father.

"No no no." Father shook his head. "Just collecting data."

He sat in a chair and took hold of a syringe. He injected it in my thigh a drew out blood.

"Why?" I asked.

"Why what?" Father turned his head a little.

"You know what I'm talking about. Why did you betray us? Why did you join these monsters?!" I just then realized my voice was getting louder.

"I came here to learn. It's a amazing place really." Father took another syringe and plunged it into my arm. I tensed a little bit.

"So learning is more important then caring for family." My voice trembled with rage.

"Yes, in ways." Father drew the blood from my arm and placed the syringe on a platter. "I know a lot more now then I ever did."

"And what would that be." I snarled.

"Well, for example, that our tribes are property of the government." Father then looked me in the eyes and didn't break eye contact.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"The government has developed a advanced technology that can morph humans into animals. That water that gives you your ability to change? The government supplies it. They created the tribes for war. Then, they could use the people to fight for them with the things they shot you with." A smile was creeping across his face. "It's the beauty of science."

"You've gone mad." I retorted.

"Have I?" Father stood up and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. I shuttered at his touch.

"Get away from me!" My hand sprung up and punched him in the gut. "Your a terrible Father!" The struggled against the restraints, trying to get to him.

"Guards!" Father called. A man came into the room and swiftly unclasped me. I immediately sprung at the man I thought I knew, the man I thought I could trust, but big hands grappled onto me and dragged me out of the room.

The man dragged me down the labyrinth of hallways, not saying a word. Suddenly, the white hallways flashed red and an earsplitting siren went off. The man loosened his grip for a moment. That's all I needed.

I twisted out of his grasp and kicked him. The force sent him back, but he came back at me. He punched me in the ribs. Hard. All the air was sent out of me.

"Stay here." The man said gruffly. He took off down the hallway.

Yeah right. I hauled myself off the ground and followed the guy down endless halls. He burst through a pair of doors, and I caught a glimpse of people.

I followed the man and opened the doors. My tribe members were in their animal forms and were attacking the people from the village where Lydia lived. People with blow darts were shooting them at the big cats, which made them fall unconscious. I spotted Jake in his wolf form taking down a pair of guys trying to take him down.

I've got to get to him.

I was about to take off when I saw him. Father was suddenly standing in front of me.

"I can't let you go Lana." There was a crazed look in his eyes. "You need to stay here."

"I'll never stay here." I growled.

"I'll let your friends go." Father pleaded.

"Their your friends too Father. Don't you remember?" Father's eyes softened a bit before taking a step closer.

"You must stay here." He said hollowly. I was started to get scared. He looked like a killer.

"I can't stay here. I have to go home."

The softness in Father's eyes vanishes and was replaced with rage.

"Then I'll make you." In a flash of light, Father was gone and was replaced by a cheetah. He lunged at me with his claws outstretched.

I quickly dove away, feeling the breeze pass by me. I scrambled to my feet as Father dug his claws into my back. I screeched in pain. I felt teeth sink into my side, creating deep holes. I tried rolling over, but Father was to heavy. His weight was suddenly off of me. I turned and saw him in his human form.

He grabbed my arm and started dragging me to the door as blood flooded out of my side. A cry rung in my ears and Father's hand released my arm. I looked over and saw an arrow in Father's chest.

I gazed at the battle. There weren't many left. All the animals were unconscious. Someone was coming closer to me.

"Lana!"

Jake was hovering over me. He strong hands were caressing my face.

"Lana, you have to turn into your animal and heal yourself." He pleaded.

I'm too tired.

"Lana, please." I felt a hot tear fall onto my cheek.

"Jake." I spluttered. More blood was spilling out of my side.

"Yes?"

I placed my hand over his. "Tell Ali that I'm sorry I couldn't keep my promise, and that I love her." I smiled at him.

"You can't leave me Lana." Jake drew a piece if hair away from my face. Blackness was crowding at the edge of my vision.

"Goodbye Jake." I whispered as my eyes fluttered shut.