Chapter Two: Preparation

Getting ready for the Tempestas Ball was always a chaotic and frustrating ordeal, with no short amount of yelling, fighting, and plenty of mess. This year was no exception. Servants and maids rushing about, bellowing orders and carrying stacks and stacks of soup bowls and plates. My adventures through the halls took quite a lot of skill on my part, as far as ducking and dodging goes.

"Watch out there, Miss!" a voice yelped to my right. I leap out of the way just as a huge cart piled with tarts, cakes, and puddings, trundled past.

The ballroom was already decorated with large violet banners embroidered with the family crest; two silver lions encircling a gold star. Along with these fancy decorations was an assortment of paper lanterns and glittering streamers. It was quite the scene to behold, especially at night, when the lanterns were lit and the streamers reflected shimmering light across the walls.

As I walk down the now spotless and empty corridor, a roll of thunder echoes around the stone, and rattles all the windows above me. I shiver, twirling the necklace around my neck. It was the only thing left I had of my mother. It wasn't fancy, just a silver lightning bolt and star at the end of a chain. I wore it at all time as a sort of memorial for her. Her death two years ago had been a terrible shock for the whole kingdom of Celest. She had always been known for kindness and compassion, the last person anyone expected to become deathly ill.

Sighing, I start down to the kitchens to check on the meal planning. I walk down the main staircase and am about to head down the next hallway when there comes an insistent knocking on the oak front doors. A harassed looking Trent hurries to the doors and orders the guards to open.

I quickly dart behind a shining suit of armor and listen as Trent speaks.

"Your majesty ! Come in, come in!"

Footsteps, the thud of the doors shutting, and the clunk of the bolt sliding into place.

"I hope your journey was uneventful. Can I bring you anything? Perhaps some warmer clothing and soup?"

I can hear the visitors voice just barely over the raging storm outside.

"That would be most welcome, thank you."

"Very well, I will have Claudia take you to your chambers. Make yourself at home."

I listen to the footsteps heading up the stairs until they fade away and I only hear the thunder rumbling menacingly.

I continue on my way down to the kitchens but I hardly notice my surroundings as my mind still dwells on the mysterious guest. Usually more people and servants would be there to welcome any guest, and most especially for the Ball. I can't remember ever being told of a visitor coming this early before the Ball. It seemed like Trent had expecting his 'majesty'. But it couldn't be a king, otherwise the whole court would have been there to welcome his arrival, even father...

It's all very strange I think to myself. I reach the doors to the kitchens and try to push them open, but they are locked. Locked? When are they ever locked?

I sigh in frustration and walk back up to the main hall. I walk back up the staircase and head towards my room. Suddenly a door on my right swings open and Claudia back up from it calling,

"Just ring for me if you need anything."

She closes the door and turns, freezing as she sees me staring wide eyed at her.

"Who is that?" I ask, my voice sounding tight and odd.

"Um... Perhaps we should talk somewhere else..."

"My room." I say quickly.

She nods and we walk silently the hall to my room, where I hope some of my questions can be answered.