33. Bang, Bang She Shot Me Down

Wedding.

Wedding.

Wedding.

The word resonated again and again in my head, swirling around my brain at dizzying speeds. How could I have been so stupid? What had I been thinking? It wasn't because I was his mate that he would leave everything behind, I sure as hell didn't. Then why was I so affected about her words?

He had never said anything about leaving her, he never mentioned anything about wanting more.... Holy Hell this isn't important! Wasn't I the one who was ready to kill his family even after finding out about him? So what if he married her, right? So what if he wasn't mine...

Unfortunately, my heart and my brain, who had always been on good terms, broke their truce.

Cas's back was to me, his shoulders incredibly tense as he held his breath. Sabine was still babbling in his ear but I had disconnected from their conversation, too concentrated on bringing myself back up to the surface.

I banged on the surface behind myself, hoping that it would conjure some sort of pain and wake me up from this nightmare. What was I going to do now? I had no Jozie, I had no high to get on, and now I....

I shook my head, refusing to process what was going on.

Bang. Bang. Bang.

This wasn't going to end like this. I wasn't going to get the short end of the stick again.

Bang. Bang. Bang.

Who was she to think that she could just sweep my mate away from me? And for what? She didn't even love him, she couldn't care for him less! She doesn't know him like I do, she doesn't know the real Cas, the one under the layers of Prestige authority.

Bang. Bang. Bang.

Has she ever saved his fucking ass even at the risk of her own life? Did she blow every chance of revenge just to make sure he was okay? Did she ever stop him from committing one of the worst mistakes of his life by putting her own neck on the chopping block?

BANG. BANG. BANG.

No! She never did those things! The answer is no. The fucking answer if NO!

CRASH!

My white-knuckled fist crashed against the patio door, shattering the glass to bits and pieces. The glass pierced my skin, my blood dripping on the immaculate floor. My entire body shook as I held my fist tighter, the nails digging in my palms.

'' Dev?'' Cas's voice snaked through my enraged haze.

My head snapped upwards to meet his worried gaze. The little twinkle he had in his eyes earlier was gone, replaced by something quite similar to dread, perhaps. He kept his distance from me, his eyes scanning my body over. His gaze faltered as he saw the blood oozing from the glass shards in my hand.

The phone he had placed on the coffee table buzzed against the oak wood. His black eyes glanced quickly in its direction and I let out a menacing growl.

'' No.'' my voice animalistic, vibration in a low tone.

He looked back at me confused at my words, the deep creases between his eyebrows back.

I took a heavy step towards him growling a single word. '' No.'' I had no doubt that my eyes weren't gray anymore.

He raised his hands up slowly, pleading me with his eyes. '' Dev, just breath, okay?''

His words only filled me with more anger. I grabbed the nearest leather arm chair and slung it across the room. It crashed against a wall, the legs transpierced the drywall. Cas closed his eyes for a second, taking a deep breath. He seemed to be thinking of something to say to calm me down but, unluckily for him, there wasn't.