CHAPTER XLV | THE RUBY PENDANT

MAARIT HAD NEVER heard of an occurrence such as this before. It was all so peculiar. The visions flashing through her mind felt more like memories than anything else. They were as familiar as fragments of Maarit's own past.

       Every sensation, every taste, every scent—they consumed her until she had nearly lost herself. She was not merely watching Theodoracius's past unfold: she was Theodoracius.

       She was running her hands over Cassius's white coat and feeding him from her hand. She was pricking her index finger on a thorn while picking mauve roses from the palace garden. Worst of all, she was experiencing the sensations that Theodoracius had: the fear, the loneliness, the... love.

       And by the time the painful phantasmagoria had finished, she found that she was reluctant to return to the surface.

       She wanted to drown in him.

       Her pulse was beating against her temples when she regained her vision, and the first things she saw were his eyes. He was laying on the bed, eyes glossy, chest heaving, lips slack, blood painting the corners of his mouth. And his gaze was fixated on her.

       It would have been far simpler if he'd used his last moments to take the dagger out of his abdomen and attempt to hurt her in return.

       But he didn't. He looked at her as though he had a thousand words on his tongue, a million more caught in his throat, but his vocal cords were severed and his lungs were full of water.

       Maarit didn't realize she was weeping until a teardrop landed on the burn on her wrist. And she loved him for all that he was: the beaten and broken soul, the coward, the gentle monster.

       Maarit thought of the young boy, watching his father taking the life of his mother and his newborn sister—and she wished, with all her heart, that she had never met him.

       The light was rapidly leaving his eyes, and the very last thing he did caused a chord of regret to strum from somewhere deep within her.

       He reached a trembling hand into his pocket, fumbled for a few moments while taking rasping breaths, and pulled out a pendant with a silver chain and a single ruby.

       Caressed it like it was a crucifix and he was a devout man.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

AUTHOR'S NOTE

The end.

That's the end of this book! However, stay tuned because there's going to be a sequel to The Infernal King. Follow me for updates regarding the sequel and to know when it'll be posted.

I know the last few chapters have been short, and I intended them to be "fever dream" ish (creds to euterpes for use of that term).

So yeah, you're probably wondering, "OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO THEO, YOU BITCH? DID MAARIT ACTUALLY KILL HIM?"

My answer to that is: there's a fucking sequel, isn't there?

And I'll leave it at that, because so many questions remain unanswered. There are holes in the story that I have always intended to fill with this sequel. It'll be a wild ride. I can't wait to share it with all of you.

If you haven't voted on these chapters, please do so! I would like to know who has read and enjoyed the story, so don't be a silent reader. Just take a few minutes to go back and vote on the chapters. It'll be encouraging to know that so many people have not only read, but actually enjoyed the book that I have poured my heart and soul into writing.

Anyway, I have more to say. I'm going to stop pretending that I'm not completely broken up about this ending, because I am. But it was necessary, and you'll understand this a lot better with the sequel.

In case you don't fully understand what happened to Theo, or if you hate Maarit for what she did, I need to give you an explanation as to why it isn't her fault.

You see, rape doesn't only leave physical blemishes—it leaves a psychological and mental scar as well. I'm not speaking from experience, but I am referring to what I know about rape from the research I've done. No matter what, the memories will always be with you if you've been violated in that way. Feeling Theodoracius on top of her brought back memories of the rape in Maarit's mind. In that moment, her panic and emotions were so heightened that her powers consumed her. It was a combination of fear and impulse that made Maarit's powers take semi-control of her, leading to her stabbing him. And before the fever dreams, she didn't have his full story; in fact, she still doesn't. There are motives behind some of the immoral things that Theodoracius has done.

Does Maarit love him? Yes. Does Theodoracius love her? More than he's ever loved anything. Would their potential relationship have been healthy? At the moment, no; not without closure regarding certain things (especially the fact that she was his prisoner). By stabbing him, Maarit has essentially—which you'll see in the sequel—set them both free. Just as the prophecy said: The deleterious effects of the dagger of trust shall both cleanse the Infernal King of and damn him for his transgressions. That's why the bracelet burned off of her wrist. They are now free, even though it doesn't feel that way to either of them at the present time.

That said, none of the characters in this book are completely good or completely evil. They're morally ambiguous enough that I can say they fall somewhere in between, maybe slightly more on the good side. Theo—well, you know all about what he's done in his life. He's a spoiled, arrogant brat who feels sorry for himself all the time. Maarit is brash and does things without thinking. (Both of the main characters have many layers and I have enjoyed peeling them back for you all to see.)

But, overall, not knowing the whole story and judging someone for something that you don't know for certain can destroy your life.

This book was largely based on emotions and characterization rather than actions. The sequel is going to be different. It's going to be action-packed. There will be many more characters introduced, and old ones revisited. Obviously, the sequel will focus partly on good vs. evil, and partly on a long road to recovery for all of the characters. You're in for a treat. New villains, new protagonists, new... diversity. Mm, I love diversity.

Thank you for reading. I love you.

—Lily