Chapter Six

Chapter Six

“It lies not in our power to love, or hate,

for will in us is overruled by fate.”

—Christopher Marlowe

C

I was walking through a lush meadow that resembled something you’d imagine in a fairy tale. The trees were endless and abundant. Vines and leaves twirled magically together, creating a picture perfect feast for the eyes. The dirt on the ground even seemed to glisten against the moonlit sky. And there was a pathway that shined brightly in front of me as if it was made for me to walk down it.

Though it was dark out and I had no idea where I was, my surroundings felt somehow familiar. I knew this place. It called out to me as if I had some history that I was consciously unaware of, but I knew if I allowed myself to open up, I would know why I recognized it.

I watched as a raven flew right by me and landed on a branch not far from where I stood. The bird and I made eye contact, and it studied me curiously. As our eyes locked, I was suddenly pulled into a hypnotic trance. I slowly made my way toward the animal and wanted to reach out and touch it.

“Don’t,” a voice said to me from behind.

I twirled around and stared at the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. It was in the shape of a man, but I knew this ethereal being had to be something more. Something divine. Its whole body illuminated a bright light so magical it brought me to my knees. 

“Rise, my child,” he gently said to me as he walked over and took my hands. Up close, I could see that his face was older. He had wide-set blue eyes that were wise with age.

“Who are you?” I asked, in awe.

“A friend,” he responded as he helped me to my feet. He looked over at the raven and narrowed his eyes.

“Why can’t I touch the bird?”

“Because if you do, you won’t be safe anymore.” I didn’t understand his cryptic words, but for some reason I believed him.

“Will it hurt me?”

“Yes.”

“Why?” We turned to look at the animal, which had stretched out its wings.

“I don’t think he even knows why anymore.”

The man reached out and put a hand on my cheek. “You must wake up now.”

I looked around at the magical meadow with its serene beauty, and my body cried out in protest. “But I don’t want to. It’s so beautiful here.”

He laughed and pointed past a grouping of trees. My gaze followed his, and I looked past the meadow and just beyond, and suddenly all I could see was darkness. And it was everywhere.

“What is this place?” My euphoria instantly turned to great fear.

“You’ll soon find out, Caroline. Right now it’s time for you to wake up.” He snapped his fingers in front of my eyes and suddenly…

I was awake. I sat up quickly in bed and took a deep breath. I was in my room. I was fine. I was reassured by Famous’s soft breathing. I was okay, I kept telling myself. It was only a dream.

But it was the strangest dream I had ever had.

I turned my nightlight on and grabbed a book from my bedside table to distract myself. One Hundred Years of Solitude should do the trick, I thought. I started to skim over the words, but my mind continued to race.