Gazed

The more Eros walks towards the stranger, the more he realizes that he is indeed a "he". But the stranger's brown outgrown hair doesn't really help with his impression of him. It looks like a short and shaggy pixie cut tucked neatly behind the ears. He can't help observing the new guy; his slim figure, his pastel polo shirt.

"Mind if I take a seat?" he finally says.

The stranger only nods. Good, he's not much of a talker, he thinks.

Eros sits beside the stranger, giving both of them an ample space between. He tries to sneak a peek of the stranger's face but he's still looking dead straight to the view below. He also couldn't see the upper half of the stranger's face because most of it is covered by his bangs.

But what's really bothering him is how pale the stranger is, almost paper white. It looks like he's never been kissed by the sun.

He continues to scrutinize the stranger. His slim figure fascinates him, too. He's thinness almost makes him look like a girl.

He pushes the thoughts aside then diverts his attention to the view in front of him.

"Can I ask you something?" Eros doesn't expect the stranger to talk to him. The voice he heard is soft and fragile but crisp at the same time.

"Sure. What's that?" Eros can't help looking at the stranger who's still gazing over the cities.

"How beautiful is the view?"

"Umm..." the question surprises Eros. He doesn't see it coming. Of all the things the stranger could ask, it's about the view. "Pretty OK, actually. It's beautiful. The sun is beginning its descent so the horizon is becoming a dark shade of orange. The city lights are starting to glow, giving the view a modern look."

Eros can't help the artist in him. That is how the view looks like. That is how it should be described.

"Ah. It sounds beautiful," the stranger tells him.

"Why do you ask? Can't you see it?" he asks.

"Apparently, not," he says. Eros is completely taken aback. Can't he see the beauty? The simplicity and complexity of the cities?

"Huh?" he can't force himself not to disagree. Eros' voice is louder than before, "Why can't you see it? It's actually very clear. Our position is at a highly advantageous steep. It's like we're in the movies and we're seated in front."

The stranger takes a little while to respond.

"I know that the city can be seen clearly. I also know that this bench gives you the best view of it. But..." the stranger stops and takes a deep breath before speaking again. "...I just can't see it."

Eros is obviously pissed off. Why can't he appreciate the simple beauties of life? Eros has been watching this view since he became a professional graphic artist and he just can't let someone shame it in front of him.

"Are you out of your mind?" his voice continues to rise. "There is beauty in everything we see. This is a perfect example of true beauty. The cities are a hodgepodge of ugly things; pollution, garbage, smoke. But in this particular time, in this particular place, if you're looking at it, you'll see how magnificently damaged it is. The different aspects of the cities are functioning as one."

"But-" the stranger tries to talk but Eros cuts him off.

"That is the message of life. How our various ugly experiences make up the beautiful journey we call our lives. Something to value. Something to appreciate and look at. Something that is unnoticed by people like you."

Eros knows that he has said too much. He's come too far and his last statement draws the line. But he will not apologize. He can't stand people who can't appreciate art.

After a long moment, the stranger finally speaks.

"You know," his voice is as soft and fragile as the first time Eros heard it. "I won't blame you if you think I can't appreciate beauty in the things I see. I just met you and I won't blame you if you're the least bit weirded out about my first question."

The stranger continues to gaze at the view while speaking. Eros is feeling a mix of confusion and curiosity.

"It's hard for my condition not to ask the things I asked earlier."

"Why?" is all he could say.

Finally, the stranger looks at him and for the first time, Eros sees the features of his face. His lips are a rosy pink and his nose and jaw prominent. The stranger smiles lightly and with his left hand, he brushes the hair blocking his face.

With the bangs now raised up, Eros could see the most beautiful feature of all... his eyes.

Eros tries to control his shock. He has never seen anything like it. Huge, round eyes with long eyelashes framing both. But it's not just it.

The eyes are gray. A shining gray. The most beautiful shade of gray he has ever seen. The colors are dancing and sparkling inside those irises.

Eros doesn't dare speak, evidently in awe. If he is surprised with what the stranger revealed, he is much more surprised with what he says next.

"You see... I am blind."