Part 3-27. Fiona Savannah Gibson: Forever in Our Hearts

Like any other Tuesday, on any other week, on any month, on any year, the sun rose and everyone started out there day. For most people it's like any other day, but for the friends and family of Jessica Song, John Fillmore, and Fiona Gibson, this is the day we say our goodbyes.

Dressed in a new black suit, I walk through the church doors. It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to figure out a rough guesstimate on how uncomfortable I feel. I don't know anyone here, and I'm here for the girl who two-thirds of these people probably hate right now. After all, murder gets people mad at you. Alexander taught me that.

That's about all I learned from dear old dad.

I certainly never learned any people skills. Are you even supposed to make small talk at funerals? I'm sure I would know if I had any people skills.

The line to see the dead bodies seems longer than a line for a ride at Cedar Point. That, mixed with my lack of people skills and funeral etiquette, gives a lot of time to question my decision to come. Sure, I was one of Fiona's friends from the nut house, but that was it. I didn't even keep a simple promise.

The pine box is getting closer, before I know it I'll be face to face with Fiona. I close my eyes as I step towards her coffin.

I take a deep breath as I look at the hollowed out body that used to contain my friend, Fiona. She's not there anymore. She's killed herself, and, this time, it snuck. She had been legally dead before, but that was only for minutes. Now she's gone forever. Looking around and seeing all the people that cared about her and the two other kids, I'm forced to wonder if this is what my funeral would have been like if I ever succeeded. But I don't want to think about that ever again.

Looking at Fiona, I have to bite my bottom lip to keep my smile from arising. It's funny, in death she looks more alive than the first time we meant.

***

"Hey cutie pie, did you try to die?"

I freeze. Someone is talking to me which is bad enough, but said person just called me cutie pie too which makes me want to crawl out of my skin, and she had said something about the attempt to top it off.

I don't like this girl.

"It's okay if you did." She sits next to me with her tray.

She's lying to me, it's not okay. I made everyone upset all because of my stupid, selfish tendencies. What did I think would happen to my mom when Galvin found out her worthless kid stained his bathroom tiles with blood using his favorite knife? She's covered in bruises, homeless and I'm in here. I don't even want to imagine Olive's face when she found out what I tried to do.

"I did too."

I look up at here. She's thin, too thin. I can see her collar bones popping out like a black cat in the snow. Add to the mandatory white uniform, she looks like a ghost of a ghost, or she would if it wasn't for the black hair lying straight down to the middle of her chest. Take away the visible bones and she's what Peter, Olive's friend, would call hot. I don't understand it.

I look away and stare at the table. I have a tray too, but I pushed it aside. I don't eat.

"Hey?" She bends down so she can look at me.

I glance up with wide eyes. People normally give up if they aren't getting paid to talk to me.

"Is this your first time?"

Still in shock that someone is willingly talking to me, I nod slowly.

She nods, "Will it be your only?"