Prologue

(Milan’s POV)

My name is Milan Li. Yes, Milan as in Milan, Italy. Why I was named Milan you asked? It’s because my parents had their honeymoon at the said place. My parents loved each other very much even if their marriage was an arranged one. I am strongly against arranged marriage even if my parents had their happily ever after because of it. They were lucky. Not all are lucky.

I’m 21 years old Chinese but I was born and raised in the Philippines. I have fair skin, long straight jet black hair and light brown almost hazel eyes. I’m taking BS Commerce at a respected University in New York and currently on a plane to Philippines. My mother called me out of the blue and asked me to go home, please scratch asked and replace it with instructed or ordered, now. And by now she meant now. She didn’t tell me why and left me clueless and a little worried

It was already 5pm when I arrived at NAIA. My mother was waiting for me when I came out.

We greeted and hugged and right after that my mom has this disapproving look in her face.

“What are you wearing?” My mother’s eyes widen in horror.

I am wearing faded and battered denim jeans, plain white shirt and brown classic low cut converse.

“Oh, no need to worry. We have time to go shopping before the dinner.” My mother added before I could reply.

“Where’s dad?” I asked. “And what dinner?”

“He’s with your grandfather.” She smiled.

We went to Shangri-La Mall in Edsa. My mom had me wore a pale pink A-line strapless knee length cocktail dress, white peep toe pumps, pearl necklace and stud earrings. We went to one of the well-known salons in mall and had my natural looking make up done and my hair was pulled up into a simple but elegant bun. Right after, as my mom always put it, I was dressed comely we head to a restaurant at Shangri-La Hotel which is located across the street.

I saw my father and grandfather seated with some people I never seen before. By the look of it, I bet my life that they’re Chinese.

My mother and I took are seats.

“Sorry to keep you waiting.” My mother told to our companions.

“No problem. We were just chatting.” The old man said.

“Richard this is Milan, my granddaughter. Milan, this is Richard Uy. A very close friend of mine.” My grandfather introduced us.

We exchanged our nice to meet you.

“What a beauty.” Richard remarked. “I thought you were over acting when you described her to me.”

My grandfather chuckled proudly.

Richard began to introduce me to his family.

Alvin Teng, a retired PBA legend. Susan Teng, Richard’s daughter and Alvin’s wife. And last but not the least the bored looking but still handsome Jeric Teng, Alvin and Susan’s first son.

I smiled politely at them.

“You know Milan, you and Jeric are almost at the same age.” My father said.

I froze. My heart began to pound rapidly against my chest. I think I knew where this is heading.

“You’re not match making us. Are you?” I snapped.

“Milan. Watch your tone.” My father said, full of authority.

“Are you?” I asked my grandfather firmly.

“Jeric is a fine man, my dear.” My grandfather began to explain.

“I thought this dinner’s about our family business?” Jeric asked.

“It is.” Richard said.

“Business??” I stood up. “I am your daughter! Not some investment.” I hissed at my parents.

“Milan!” My parents called as I walk away.

(Jeric’s POV)

“I’m sorry grandpa. I love you but this is too much of you ask me.” I said to my grandfather. “Excuse me.”

I reached the main entrance and waited for the valet who fetched my car from the parking lot.

“Hey.” I heard someone called in a bossy tone. I turned and saw Milan standing behind me.

I was stunned to see her and my mind race thinking of what I am supposed to say.

“About what happened, I really…”

“Cut the crap.” Milan said. “Lend me some money.”

“What?” I asked in surprised and annoyance.

“Didn’t you hear me? I said, lend me some money. I’ll deposit what I borrowed in your account first thing in the morning.”

I looked at her. Her dress has no pockets and she doesn’t have any bag with her. She clearly doesn’t have anything with her. I have some money with me and I don’t mind lending her some if only she asked nicely.

“I don’t have any money with me.” I answered coldly.

“Really?” She sounded sure that I am lying. “Then I supposed you have a cell phone. Everyone does.”

“Out of battery.” This girl’s getting on me nerves big time.

Finally, the valet arrived with my  red 2011 Dodge Charger, "king of the road".  It is a four-door, sedan-like coupe. I began to walk to the driver’s seat and Milan tailed behind me.

“Give me a ride then.” She demanded.

“Why would I?” I stopped walking and turned to face her. “You know what. If you can’t take care of yourself, you better go back inside. Your parents are still there.”

“You will regret this.” She whispered.

I smirked and continued walking finally she got the message and stopped bugging me.

“So this is it honey?” She yelled.

What the hell is she doing? She’s starting to get the attention of the people around us.

Scandalous.

“After a nice dinner and a night in a hotel suite you’re going to just leave me here?!”

People began staring and whispering. I looked around and saw their disgusted faces.

You got to be kidding me.

I walked back to her.

“Shut up and get in.” I growled.