the years in between

After that night, the boys ignored each other and didn't dare look at each other's eyes. Everyone at school asked questions and raised their heads to pick up any clue they may have for them.

Whenever they were asked questions, they tried to change the subject and if it didn't work, they would tell them to mind their own business.

It was worst when a teacher had paired them together. All the students' eyes were on them and they didn't mind them. Their main problem then was the person sitting to them. Very little words came out of their mouths and they were terrified of each other's eyes. The fear of the eyes was because they feared what the eyes would tell. These human parts meant so much and could speak beautiful or harsh things.

To the two of them, there was something missing, as if their toxic presences had been missing.

There was something wrong in waking up and not having to be in the same car. There was something different in not yelling insults to someone else who would fight back. Yes, they knew that what they said and did was terrible. But it was almost like a routine to them. Scratch that, it was a routine to them.

And being out of that routine felt odd. However, being separated meant they had to adjust to not do that normal dance.

Surely, they did get used to it.

The breakup died down at school and everyone went back to normal, petty drama. The both of them felt relief when they weren't the center of attention anymore. Yet, that feeling of missing a piece in their heart was faintly there.

When the boys had graduated from the high school, they did not clap for the other as a feeling of hate still laid in their hearts.

Brendon and Dallon parted the town and went separate ways. Brendon didn't attend college and attempted to start a band with friends from high school. The band didn't last too long, though, since after their second album they had split because of creative differences. This band breakup caused Brendon to be wary of friendships and he continued to make music, dropping the band's name.

As for Dallon, he attended college and graduated becoming a decent duo with a medium following. His best friend, who was helping him recover during his schooling years, was the drummer in this duo band.

Everyone had settled into positions they found perfect for them. The two exes would be lying if they didn't think of the other from time to time. Those thoughts didn't linger long, the thinking had decreased over time and finding new lovers were on their list.

More years passed and their knowledge of each other's existences faded away from their memories. Brendon and Dallon found someone else they could love. Someone to give their smile to. Someone worth their time. Someone to which they didn't have to argue with.

Their lives had been going so well. Six years of separation and they've grown into better people, treating people kinder than before. Six years of separation and they've moved on from the past. In those six years, they've forgotten who they loved in high school for a year.

Or did they?

< > < > < >

oh, ho, ho, sorry to sound so all-knowing and stuff but it seemed so right for this book. i think it's very obvious to what happens next. thank you for reading! <33