Chapter 9 - Awakened

A thumping and vibration against my back, woke me with a start. I release a low groan as my body unfolds itself from the position I stayed in the entire night. As I raise my head off my knees, I try to blink away the dried-up crust from my eyes, caused by my tears.

"Destiny! What the hell are you doing? Training starts in five." I jerk upwards. "Shit." I curse as I stand.

"Shit, shit, shit." I pull the door open, meeting Adrianna's raised fist, posed for another knock. Her eyes widen as she takes me in.

"What the hell? What happened to you? You look like death when he died." Adrianna pushes me aside, stepping into my room, and shuts the door.

I rub my forehead. "I'm fine. Bad night is all." Her eyebrows furrow with worry. "Yeah I can tell. Want to talk about it. I'm sure Derek can handle the training by himself today." She touches my arm gently. I step back, not in the mood for softness right now.

"No." I snap. Adrianna jerks back startled. "Sorry. I'm good, no need to talk about anything. I'll just change my clothes and be out there in the next three minutes. I'll skip breakfast." Not that I could stomach the thing anyway.

Adrianna studies me with a tight frown and gives me a reluctant nod. I walk over to my luggage and rip it open. I rummage through my clothes, not turning around when I hear the door shut. I pull off my top and bottom, quickly exchanging it for a workout shirt and pants. I exchange my black combat boots with running sneakers, and headed out my room. I ignore everyone as I pass through the halls. I ignore the looks of fear, hate, and disgust. The fear is new, but the rest I can deal with, just as I always have. I walk towards the training grounds, instantly seeing Jason and Jake off to the side, conversing. My heart clenches at the sight of Jake, and I blow out a breath in order to control my wayward emotions. The gaping hole inside me ever so big. I clench my fist as he turns in my direction. Refusing to look at him any longer I turn away, scanning the field for Derek. Spotting him, I move over to him quickly.

"Good to see your finally here." He greets, grouchy. I smile, a sense of normalcy seeping into my bones. My smile fades as guilt soon eats it away. Derek and I might not be a couple but we are something, and that something is extremely important to me. A sense of wrongness envelops me as I remember all the times I've been with him. Instead of feeling like I cheated on him, I feel like I've been cheating on Jake. Curse this fucking bond. Anger heats up my skin. I fight to control it, a swirling power inside me. A power that I refuse to ever use again.

"Yeah, sorry. Overslept. Who are we dealing with today?" I step closer to him, forcing myself and my wolf to dismiss the feeling of wrongness. Derek looks away from the people standing before him, and turns to give me all of his attention. Like Adrianna worry wraps around him colors. Before he can ask, I shut him down.

"I'm fine. I'm itching to get some exercise, so what are we doing today boss man." His jaw clenches, obviously irked by my dismissive manner.

"There's a lot of them, and few of us. Michael is also late, but he'll have his own section of a hundred members, each of us will take on a hundred members. Thankfully this pack is not like our own. Not everyone is a fighter, there is only sixteen hundred fighters, and the rest are mostly children, mothers, and the elderly. Jason, Adrianna, Annabelle, and Alpha Moon, and his beta will be integrating our pack battle styles."

"But that only covers half of the groups, what about the other eight?" "Simple, we do a full rotation. We teach the first eight groups, while the other eight sits out, then we give the first group a break and switch out to the second group. They have never done our type of training, they will need a resting period if we don't want them to keel over. I think you remember well, how well your first days of training went." I wince, don't I ever.