The Guardian and His Nightingale

By Mickolly Karen and Gordon Woods

 When the moon is up and everyone falls asleep, a figure lurks outside in the dark. It would leap through the misty air and stride through the streets of the small village just outside of the city of Amarillo, Texas. Only the creatures of the night would see the figure. And on occasion, so would a few people who wouldn't sleep. It was the Guardian of the Night.

For years it protected the people from unseen disasters and chaos. But always alone, until now...

A young man was on his way to work. But he was late, again. But his boss didn't care, he hardly cared about the people around him. The boss was in charge of the oil company in that village. His name was Mr. Genesis. He was a bit of a chubby man, he loved sweets and money, he had a wife who came from an extremely rich family. He had many employees and hardly cared who showed up or not, but his supervisor however did. And we find him waiting for the young man who is showing up late for work.

"Ah, you finally arrived!"

"Sorry I was late again, you know how it is with my life and-"

"Yes yes, don't give me the same story you give everyday! Just get to work before I get the feeling to fire you right here and now!!"

The young man then sprinted off to work, his job was to help move the oil barrels to the delivery trucks and secure them. He worked with a couple other men. Mr. King was a quiet man who only paid attention to his work, however if you get into his lunch, it'll be the last thing you will do! Mr. Swanson on the other hand loved to tell jokes while working, they seemed hilarious to him, but after the tenth time, it just becomes annoying. So they called him Jokes for short.

"Howdy buddy! They rhyme!"

"Har har Jokes, you know that is what you say everyday!"

"And tis' hilarious! Wanna nother?"

"No."

"Good! Alright, two holes were dug in the middle of the road and I asked the sheriff, 'What are the holes doing there?' And he said, 'Nothing, they are just holes!' HA! HA! It was priceless!"

"Yeah, good one Jokes, now work."

"Sheesh! Don't you ever laugh buddy?"

"He shouldn't, now get to work Jokes!"

"Fine King, don't have to be so kinked up 'bout it."

The day went by and the young man went home, but as he closed the door, he took a look around and checked for any unusual guests. But all he saw was his bed, dresser, and his cat, nothing else in the house. He then stuck his finger in a hole in the floorboards and swung open a door. Behind it, he found a stairway leading down into the ground. He walked down the flights and shut the door behind him. A single light shone in the dark and it reviewed a small room which held a table filled with broken arrows, a rack filled with bows of all kinds, a bucket filled with good arrows, and a single cloak hanging on a hook on the dirt wall. The room also had a single door which was closed at the time, but it lead to a tunnel which would take you to the other side of the village.

The young man then took his jacket off and under it was a tight shirt of black, the jeans he kept on and he threw the cloak over his head. He grabbed a bow and filled a quiver with arrows and went off into the dark tunnel.

It was nearly nine thirty at night when a young lady was heading home. She was new in town and hardly heard (or believed) the stories of the Guardian of the Night. She continued to walk slowing, watching the stars twinkle above her, when she had a sudden feeling that someone was watching her. She turned around and waited. She didn't see anyone and didn't hear anyone either. So she continued her way, but the feeling didn't go away.