FOUR ↠ HOSTAGE

•••

•••

CHAPTER FOUR

Hostage situation on 46th and 9th.

Hostage situation on-

Fuck.

The news headline rang through my head like a bell. How could I have been so stupid.

How could I have been so goddamn stupid?!

I left a child alone.

I.

Left.

A.

Child.

Alone.

Alone.

Tatiana was left alone at her school while I was panicking about my brother finding out about my 'night time activities'.

How the hell could I have been so goddamn stupid?

I could feel that I was close to tears. Whether that was because of the wind rushing past my face at about 15 miles per hour, or becuase I was so bloody angry at myself for forgetting about a child. I will never tell.

I landed on the next rooftop in full sprint and sucked in another breath. If there was one thing I took away from being at school it was my amazing skills in running track.

I had only caught a glimpse of what was happening on the chefs tv as I was leaving to collect Tatiana but from what I had seen it was getting really bad really quickly. As soon as I had seen that the hostage situation was taking place at Tatiana's school I had rushed upstairs and changed into my black suit, exiting through the window.

I halted to a stop on top of the building opposite the school. The road below was extremely busy; cars were parked randomly on the road, at least a dozen of flashing cameras and news reporters were buzzing about, the police and their flashing lights were there too, trying and failing to control the crowd.

I instantly recognised Thea, the news reporter who was animatedly waving her arms around and pointing frustratedly at the school building. I was too far away to catch what she was saying but I could tell she was really getting into it. Like she does with everything.

Thea had worked for the New York Bulletin ever since I joined, just under two years ago after I got fired from working at Landman and Zach law firm being their secretary for a year.

Just on a side note; I didn't even get fired for a fair reason. I was rushing to get to work as I was late, coffee in hand, I ran into the building and right into one of our most rich clients. And unlike any sappy rom-com that you've ever seen, we didn't fall in love at first sight, a cinderella type story. The lowly secretary and the high up business man forever in love. No thanks. Instead there was more screaming, as he was scolded by my boiling hot coffee. So, he got me fired.