Chapter One: Tell Me Something I Don't Already Know

The wind blew past me as I wrapped my scarf tighter around my neck. I squinted at the world that surrounded me, a frown growing on my lips.

My world was gone.

Horns honked on the busy road, umbrellas and people filling the sidewalks as headlines flowed up above. Building upon building, shop upon shop, this was New York.

Beautiful things and big opportunities at the tip of your fingers, who wouldn't want this? Good question. Me.

I didn't want to be here any longer. Without him my world was gone. The skies appeared darker and everything turned cold. He was my warmth, my light. He kept me from the darkness that I was surrounded by, the walls I built around myself. He knocked them down brick by brick, showing me that light could come through. He left me behind, making sure to but each brick back in its place.

"Harry."

I look up, seeing Joanne standing in front of me as I clear my thoughts.

"Oh...my bad," I scratch my neck as she lets out a small chuckle.

"How's she?" I ask and she nods with a smile.

"She's doing fine. She's been asking a lot of question and I don't know how to answer them."

"Where's she now?" I ask, looking around but Joanne holds up a finger.

"Now now, she's sleeping in my car. I decided to drop her off at my sister's since I have to work today."

"Thank you so much, Joanne. You really are-"

"Amazing, I know. With your family in England and Louis disappearing it's the least I can do. Besides, it's what friends are for."

"You're my sister-in-law, but I guess "friends" is okay." I laugh, walking with her into a Starbucks. I unzipped my coat once we walked in, engulfing some of the warm air.

"So...how are you holding up lately?" Joanne asks, looking up at me as I arch my brow.

"Joanne."

"Okay...I'm sorry I'm sorry. I'm just worried about you and all." She puts her hands up in defense, causing me to pinch the bridge of my nose as annoyance takes over me.

"I honestly wish Mum and Gemma never would have told you," I sigh and lay my head down. She gives me an apologetic look but I ignore it.

"Like I said, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to—"

"Just stop talking about it please—it's making my head hurt." I groan, pulling of the rest of my heavy black coat and rub my gloves hands together.

"We can talk about Madeline and Freddie?" She suggests with a small smile as I shrug.

"Ahh, yes. How are they?"

"Like I said, Madeline's been asking a lot of questions. Freddie on the other hand has been doing pretty fine. He's catching up on words and stuff which is great. It's so cute how he stutters over—"

"Louis should be here."' I cut her off, wrapping my hand in a fist. She looks at me for a second before lowering her head.