Part 8 Unburied

Part 8 Unburied

Hey guys.

I really wanna get this thing done. It's so close to it, and I should be able to finish in just two chapters. That being said, coming up with the right ideas for this story takes work and time, and I'm getting busier. I hope you guys enjoy this, 'cause that helps me do it.

Anyway, let's just go.

---

I looked around the base, approaching several parts with a reserved appreciation. "Man, I missed this place."

Harper and Taylor turned around and looked at me accusingly. "And you guys!" I assured, before continuing to look around. I laid my hands on a set of boxes I had arranged to be able to view the monitor without sitting in a stupid swivel chair.

Adrian put a hand on my shoulder. "Alright, buddy. You've been gone for four days, you don't need to retouch everything."

I nodded and walked over to where most of the others waited. For a moment, we were uncomfortably silent. Then after a moment, Hari and Adrian tried to speak simultaneously.

"So I think-"

The two both stopped. Hari took a bow. "Sorry about that; I'm, uh, used to leading my own team, and giving those 'encouraging plan speeches.'"

I noticed Adrian visibly cringe at his words, before nodding. "Right. So, we're down Nelly and Joey. They were most likely taken to this...Digital World thing, that Hari refers to, and so is Jokermon. When we go there, who knows what we'll find. We'll have to be ready for anything."

Hari shrugged. "Well, I wouldn't really say it's that...I mean, no one's really wei...no yeah, you should be ready for anything."

Taylor stepped towards the middle of the group, adding, "I realize we're all anxious to do this, but before we figure out what we're gonna do, shouldn't we figure out how we're going to get there?"

I sighed. "I've been wondering about reaching out to Celebi, but-"

Hari smiled. "I think I've got this. My friends back where I'm from are probably worried about me. I'm sure after they disappeared they tried to find a way to me, and they're very persistent. They can locate my Digivice anywhere in the multiverse. Well, pretty much anyway. They'll be able to find me and get a way back."

"And they'll be able to get us into this Digital World?" Adrian asked.

Hari put a hand on his shoulder. "Dude, they're already IN the Digital World."

Harper still wore a deep frown. "It sounds like a decent plan, but you've been here for four days right? And you still haven't been rescued. Who's to say that there is a way for them to bring you back? Or if there is, do we know they'll find it before it's too late? Or it's possible that they all..."

Hari looked over at her and gave her a small glare, causing her to shut her mouth. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

Adrian seemed ready to react, but I went ahead of him. "Hey, we have an idea, right? So at least for now, let's just leave it be, and if his friends pull through sometime soon, we can go."

We all awkwardly divided, going off to do certain things. As I approached my chair boxes, Adrian stopped me and motioned away from everyone else.

He looked unusually uncomfortable, which for a while would have made me happy. Now I was just concerned. "Listen, Todd. Things while you were gone...they weren't so great. Half the time we didn't have a leader. And even when-" He seemed to choke on these words. "-even when I tried to be that leader, we weren't a real team. We're still...barely getting by without you."