(5) Quidditch

I had been back at Hogwarts for a few weeks now, and it was good to be back after the holidays, I had missed Dan a lot. He was with me as we sat in the library, our library privileges being renewed come the new term, although Madam Pince gave us wary glances from across the room which were slightly unsettling. What was also slightly unsettling was the fact that my year had transfiguration tests that I had not studied for. At all. Which was what we were supposed to be doing in the library, until Dan stumbled upon a book of wizarding memes, which he kept distracting me with.

"Hey Phil, look at this one!" He shoved the book in front of my face, it's pages displaying some animal that had been pulling an amusing face at the time it had been photographed.

"Look Dan, I have a transfig test, I don't have time to look at grumpy cat or whatever it's called. Do I have to go and study in the common room?"

"Sorry, Phil..." He put the book down and crossed his legs. Being the Hufflepuff I was, I couldn't stand upsetting him, even though he had been the one annoying me, so I gave him a hug.

"I'm sorry, Dan. I really do need to study for this test though. After that I will look at all the memes, I promise," I amended. Dan laughed a little. We sat for a few hours, me jotting down notes and him occasionally laughing under his breath at whatever image he found funny. After a while I figured I had done enough study to not entirely fail the test, if not pass. I looked up and realized the library was unusually empty for three o'clock. I nudged Dan. "Hey, d'you know where everyone is?"

"Uhh, yeah, I think there's a Quidditch game on or something," he replied.

"Wanna go?"

"If you want to, sure."

"Yeah okay, not like we have anything better to do." I put my books in my bag and we left the library, heading to the Quidditch field.

"Who's versing who?" Dan asked; neither of us kept up with Quidditch, or any sport for that matter.

"Ravenclaw verses Gryffindor I think. Hufflepuff's definitely not playing."

"That sounds right, I would know if Slytherin was playing"

We arrived at the stadium, and sure enough the crowds were decorated in hues of crimson and blue. We found a seat close to the front, amidst a huddle of Gryffindor first years who shuffled along to talk to their friend. I watched as the teams filed out onto the field, the captains shaking hands, and soon enough the brooms were airborne and the game had begun. Dan seemed a little disinterested, but I found it fascinating. That was until a couple of dark figures drifted across the pitch. Dementors. I couldn't feel the chill and I couldn't sense the agonizing sadness and despair, but the thought that it was coming was enough to make my anxiety rocket. I huddled into a ball and my breath quickened to the point where I was hyperventilating, my attempts to slow it failing as my mind was overcome by panic.

"Phil, are you okay?" I heard Dan ask, his words indistinct, encompassed by the ringing in my ears. I heard Dan swear under his breath as he noticed the approaching figures, shrouded in rotted dark robes. "What the fuck are they doing here," I heard him convulse. "Phil, I want you to look at me," he said, touching my hand. I looked up, shaking slightly. "You're going to be okay. They're not going to hurt you. They're not even coming near us, they're chasing after Potter." I glanced at the field to see the dementors circling around no other than Harry Potter, the famous kid in the year below me.

"A-are you s-s-sure they're not coming n-near us," I stammered, trying to even my breath.

"Very sure," Dan assured, wrapping an arm around me. "They're not coming another inch closer." We watched together as the three dementors came closer to Potter, who was pointing his wand at them.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM," he shouted while struggling to keep hold of his broom handle. We watched as a silver stag erupted from the tip of his wand, charging at the hooded figures who proceeded to plummet to the ground. Dan gave a sudden laugh.

"Dan, what about this is funny?" I asked, still shaken from my panic attack.

"It's my cousin and his idiot friends," he laughed. "They dressed up as dementors. I can't believe them oh my God, they're such idiots!" I peered down to see the field below me, and sure enough, four people were being lectured by Professor Mcgonagall.

"Why would they...?"

"Oh, probably some stupid plan of Draco's, he and Potter have a rivalry or something. To me it looks like silly crush to be honest," Dan laughed again, and I sighed in relief. "He's going to pay for it though, his antics with the Potter kid made my best friend have a panic attack and I'm not going to stand for that." Dan glared down at his cousin, who was still being lectured by the professor.

"Don't retaliate, I overreacted, it's just my anxiety. Let's go back to the castle Dan," I suggested.

"Yeah okay, and you look like hell, Phil. Remind me never to bring a dementor near you." We walked back to the castle and got a snack from the kitchens, Dan being well acquainted with the house elves by now. Dan sat with me in the Hufflepuff common room until people started returning from the Quidditch game. I felt a lot better, and I was glad to have such an amazing best friend.