TWO

Virginia pulled up to the station with Spinelli's smug mug still stuck in her thoughts. As she neared the door, it swung open and she pivoted to hold it for the two people leaving before making her way inside. Judging by the crowded lobby that greeted her, it was going to be a tough night for the next shift. A smile crossed her face, her frame of mind brightening. God, how she loved her job. The high energy level never failed to get her adrenaline pumping.

After pushing her way past the throng, she searched the bullpen's chaotic arrangement of desks to find Jack hunched over his at the far side of the room. She zigzagged a path through the maze.

"What's up?"

Jack looked up and grinned. "You're back. How did it go?"

"As expected—I'm not sure I accomplished anything, but it was interesting."

"Uh-huh." He put his elbows on the desk, lacing his fingers together under his chin while giving her a slow wink. "And what did you think of him?"

She dismissed the question with a flick of her wrist, not in the mood for any of his jokes. Still bristling from her encounter with Spinelli, she wasn't feeling the humor.

Thankfully, Jack cut the comedy, getting back to the issues at hand. "We brought in Vito. Cap wanted to ask him how they knew we were coming."

"What did he say?"

He gave a toss of his head, directing her focus behind him. "He's in there now."

The glass-walled office at the back of the station gave her a clear view of Vito and her boss sitting opposite each other. "Cap doesn't look too happy."

"You should have seen him fifteen minutes ago. I actually felt sorry for that little douche bag."

She studied the back of their snitch's head. Vito's reliability was questionable, no doubt about it, irrespective of the last name. He was a nephew of Augustus Chilvati, the cagey boss of the family, a man who understood the wisdom of keeping a low profile. Augustus didn't appreciate mistakes being made that caused unwanted police attention, which was exactly what Vito tended to do. A lot. Hence, Vito's responsibilities had been reduced to the equivalent of an errand boy. And, yeah, Vito was a little bitter, to put it mildly. He'd provided the 411 on the restaurant.

"Hey." Jack snapped his fingers in front of her face. "FYI, he wasn't too happy with your little stunt, either."

"Robins! Kelly!" Cap hollered.

Jack pushed back from the desk and stood up. "Our turn."

Walking out, Vito gave them a quick nod from across the room.

"I swear, if that idiot warned them . . ." Jack huffed.

"I know," she said, watching Vito tuck his chin to his chest and scurry his way through the desks. She had to wonder about his motives, though. He'd been the one to approach them with the deal, information for the promise that he would be overlooked when they gained enough evidence to shut the family down. Newly married to a young schoolteacher, all he wanted was a normal future with the woman he loved. Virginia had to give him kudos for that. The things some men would do for their—

Don't go there, she thought as she entered Cap's office.

Jack stayed standing, allowing her to sit in the guest chair Vito had just vacated. The thing was more concrete slab than seat cushion. Cap had probably picked it out himself, not wanting anyone to get too comfortable in his space. She shifted her weight, knowing it wouldn't help, and gave all of her attention to her boss.