P r o l o g u e

All I could think about that day was that he wasn't with me, warm and safe in my arms with his steady breath against my chest. A soft, tender smile spread across the boy's face, greeting me when I accidentally awoke him. God, I love you, I thought. But I then realized- who was I even saying that to? Yet, as if he'd read my mind, he responded with an innocent appreciating kiss. It was so sudden, and my cheeks grew tomato red. I needed to ask of his name. I needed to be with him. "What is your-"

     Suddenly, everything began fading away. The small boy gave me a worried look and I returned one. I held his cheeks in my hands to reassure him, and I noticed that he had big, brown, beautiful eyes that matched his hair- almost like those of a puppy. Just as my eyes began to open I used all my strength to whisper "I'll find you. I promise," I felt his face heat up in my palms, and then he was gone.

     "Richie Tozier! Turn off that damn alarm! Wake up and get out of this house already before I kick you out myself!" I could hear my mother's footsteps become louder as she stormed up the stairs to scold me, thanking myself that I had locked my door the previous night. As she banged on my door, the smell of vodka and cigarette smoke filled the room.

"Alright ma, alright."

"That's what I like to hear. Good boy!"

        It disgusted me how my mother could turn from angry as a devil to happy as an angel in the blink of an eye. It was unsettling; sometimes I wish that I could've just grown up with a normal family. I began to shed tears I had no idea I'd been holding back. Oh how I long for so many things that just can't be reached.

     But then I remembered- him. My soulmate, the only person I would truly spend the rest of my days with. He only made me cry more, and I repeated to myself that it was only a dream and nobody like him would come into my life and love me that much..Even so, that boy- he was everything to me. But who was he?