Chapter 10

Only a few hours later, thick clouds began to block the sun again, limiting the golden rays that filtered through the red, brown, and yellow leaves making the canopy above them. They were all grateful for the lack of heat that had only been encouraging their persisting thirst, and they all regretted not jumping at the chance to refill their canteens back at the troll bridge.

       Twisty trees rose up around them, their leaves and drooping branches having to be batted away to clear a path through the densely packed trees and undergrowth.

      Rowan found herself silently begging for someone to recommend a rest break. She didn't want to be the weak link that held them up. Her feet ached from the constant pressure against uneven ground, and she could feel her face growing hotter from exertion. She let out a deep breath, forcing her heavy legs to carry her further.

      Her satchel, loaded with a little bit of food, the black journal, and her other items she had brought, weighed heavily on her shoulder. The strap made her collarbone ache beneath the weight that seemed to be increasing with every step.

       Aliyah cast a glance over at Rowan, noticing the princess's set jaw and shuffling of her footsteps, "Can we stop for a break?" she asked after a moment, knowing Rowan wasn't willing to ask herself, "I'm getting kinda winded."

      Which was a lie, and Rowan knew it. Still, she gave the werewolf a weary look of thanks as Kaden shrugged in consent. She sank down against a tree, careful to sit in a spot not overrun with ants or covered in fungus. She let out a deep sigh, leaning into the rough bark of the tree.

     Kaden sat on a small stone that was just big enough to sit on, drawing his sword from his belt and examining the blade for any signs of rust or fingerprints to clean off.

     Aliyah flopped onto the forest floor, landing on her back with an exclamation of exhaustion, "I'm having so much fun," she said sleepily, brushing hair back from her face, "My brother and I used to have so much fun exploring the moors and forests. But it's been forever since then..."

      "You have a brother?" Rowan swallowed to wet her parched throat before speaking as she met her gaze, "What's it like?"

      Aliyah laughed, "Horrible! They're train wrecks and annoying! Marcus was such a mess. He didn't understand the concept of 'personal business'. But... he was awesome. Always had my back, such a little brat that you had to love him," her smile faded into a distant look, "I miss him."

     "Do you mind me asking what happened to him?" Rowan softened her voice at the pained look on Aliyah's face, tilting her head to the side in order to catch her friend's gaze.

     "Oh... I don't see him much anymore," she sighed, her mouth quirking slightly on one side. She folded her hands behind her head as she stared up at the colorful tree canopy waving above her, "He got bitten shortly after I did, different wolf though. He's been wandering since then, an independent male." She laughed to herself, resting a hand over her face, "I only see him now on coincidences."

      "When was the last time you've seen him?" Rowan asked.

      "Three weeks ago," she replied, sitting up. She didn't seem to mind she had leaves caught in her wavy black hair, "He said he was heading east. That's partly why I wanted to come with you- to see if I can't find him."

      "Can we end this break now?" Kaden complained, interrupting their conversation to Rowan's great disapproval.

       "There is something called manners, you know," Rowan tilted her head all the way back to see him sitting behind her, "We were having a conversation, loudmouth."

        "My apologies, Princess Petty," Kaden gave her a mocking bow as he stood, "But we do have places to be. And we don't have forever."

       "Thanks for your reminder, Keeper of the Time No One Cares About," Rowan stuck her tongue out at him with an annoyance flashing in her eyes. She stood up, using the tree to support her weight as the blood rushed to her head. She hated when that happened.

      After the black spots cleared her vision, she reached for her bag that sat beside the tree trunk. But Kaden snatched it from her reach, slinging it over his shoulder before she could protest.

      "I'll take it," he grumbled, "Look at your shoulder, it's leaving a mark."

        Rowan glanced down at her sore shoulder, pulling the fabric of the sleeve down enough to reveal a red rub mark glowing with irritation on her skin. She crossed her arms, "That doesn't mean I can't carry it by myself!"

        Kaden ignored her protests as he strode past her, heading deeper into the forest.

        Rowan snatched his shirt collar in her fist as he passed, "I don't need you to carry that. Now you're carrying two bags. Give it to me, or I'll..."

"You'll what?"Kaden pulled free, continuing to walk away, "Talk me to death? Order me?"

       "Get you fired," she muttered under her breath, but she knew at the moment all threats were useless. She had no more control over anyone than any one else did. And it was frustrating. She remembered books she had read about knights and princesses, how the knight would help the princess and she'd fall foolishly in love with him. "I don't need a knight in shining armor."

        "You see me as one?" he gave her a quirky grin that made her want to attack him, but she decided to just ignore him. It wasn't nearly as satisfying.

         Aliyah laughed at them, tossing her head back to get her wild hair out of her eyes, "You guys are so funny."

         "Whatever," Rowan snorted, huffing with disdain as she turned her back on Kaden, "If I have to deal with much more of this, I'm just leaving him at the next troll bridge."

          "You'd like to, wouldn't you," Kaden grumbled, hoisting her bag higher on his shoulder, his own strapped on his back with rope, "We need to go a few more miles before nightfall. Then we can rest," he smirked at Rowan, "Unless a piggyback ride is in order."

      "Come on, Kaden, the rest of us are walking," Rowan chided, "You need to walk at least a little farther before you can get a ride."

        Kaden frowned.