Chapter 25

“He’s okay!” I said between heavy breaths, almost running into Maddie as I bounded out of the room I was hidden in. “He’s okay, he’s okay, he’s okay!” I exclaimed, taking her shoulders in my hands and shaking her.

“Calum?” She asked excitedly.

I calmed down, nodding. “Yeah. I just talked to him. He’s coming home.”

“Where was he?” She asked. 

“I don’t know, he didn’t say. He just said he’ll be home in like an hour.”

She smiled, nodding. “Well good, I’ll go call Michael and let him know.”

She walked off, leaving me to my swirling thoughts. I was so anxious; I was ready to see Calum. Hopefully we’d be able to forget this rocky past we had and just start fresh. I’m sure he’d agree with that.

-

When I heard an engine rev in the driveway, I peeled the curtains away and peeked outside, seeing Calum’s car pulling into the garage. My heart began racing. I froze. Instead of overwhelming him I sat in the living room and waiting for him to walk inside.

The door opened and I heard his keys jingling. Soon he popped around the corner, a small smile forming on his lips as he kept his thumbs hung in his jean pockets. 

“Hi stranger,” I said, standing up from the sofa.

He didn’t say anything in return. He walked to me and pulled me into a hug. My head sat in the crevice on his shoulder, his breath hitting my neck through my hair. We pulled away and he held my face, kissing me softly.

“I love you.” He said as he pulled away from the kiss, his smile growing, our eyes locked.

“I love you too. Present tense.” I replied, a smile forming on my lips. “But we’re not done.” I said, breaking the moment. “Where were you, Calum?” 

He laughed, sitting down on the sofa, crossing his legs. “I’m surprised you couldn’t guess. I thought you knew me.”

I shook my head. “No, It’s you who knows I. I don’t know you Calum, and you’ve especially proved that to me in these past few weeks.” I sat adjacent to him.

“I’m sorry about that. I really become a different person when I smoke and drink. It makes me like that when I’m sad, when my life is going downhill.”

I pressed my finger to his lips. “Hush. It’s fine. You’ve already apologized. Just no more running off and no more random hook-ups with girls when we fight.” I glared at him, lightening the mood with a chuckle. 

“You’re the only girl I want to hook-up with,” he replied with a devilish smirk. He leaned in, his lips dangerously close to mine. 

“Uh uh uh, Calum.” I said, giggling, pushing him away from me. “Talk now, kiss later.” 

He pouted, sneaking a small kiss onto my lips. “Fine, fine. So where was I? Is that what you’re inquiring?” He asked, leaning his head onto the back of the sofa, smiling at me. 

I leaned my head like his so we were eye-to-eye. “Yes sir.” 

“Like I said, I don’t know how you didn’t know where I was. I was obviously at the cave, babe. I thought you’d come looking for me there.”

“Did you want me to come looking for you?” I asked. The cave was the obvious place, I guess I just overthought that.

“No, I didn’t. But I still thought you’d show up.” He shrugged. “Any-who, that doesn’t matter now! I’m home, you’re here, and that’s all that matters. Am I right? I’m right.”