Chapter 8

"Iris, I would like to introduce you to Haley. She will be training you for combat." Harold said, standing next to a women with long, platinum blond hair.

"It's very nice to meet you Haley, when will we start training?" I asked, eager to start doing something productive.

"We can start now if you'd like, you'll into something more flexible though. There should be some clothes for your training in your closest. I will wait outside your door for you." Haley said as Harold walked away, talking to someone on the phone.

I gave her a small smile and closed my bedroom door and headed for the closet. Haley was right, there was a small pile of athletic clothing for me to wear for during my training. After I got changed I fixed my hair by redoing my ponytail. I knew that if I do ever go on missions I will need to keep my hair up form getting in my face.

Haley was waiting by the stair case by my bedroom, when she noticed I was done, she started to lead the way to the gym. Once we got there, she brought out two sets of boxing gloves and some small hand targets that we could use. She handed me a pair of boxing gloves and she put on her own.

"I heard what you did to your father, Jake said that you gave him a pretty good punch." She said, trying to see what I was capable of.

"I was angry, pissed, I didn't think about doing it until it happened." I said

"I want you to do the same thing to me, the exact way you did it to your father. Don't worry about hitting me, I will block it, plus that's why we have these gloves on." She said, standing in position to fight.

I figured I should try standing in the same position, planting my feet on the ground. I got my hands up in front of my face and punched, aiming for her face, just like I did before. She swiftly dodged it, knowing how to act in the perfect ways. She seemed to really know what she was doing, like she had done it a million times before.

"Good, but only move your right side. Never extend your arm straight out, always keep it bent for you can use your full force on the enemy. Try again." She said, getting back into position.

So that's what we did for awhile. I kept redoing everything while she gave me tips and advice for doing certain things. A few hours later we took a break and took a seat on the bench by the wall.

"How did you get here? I mean, how did you get to joining the Mafia here?" I said, curious about how someone like her was in a place like this.

"Well, it started about three years in New York City. I didn't have much friends and I didn't have much money either, but I survived in a small apartment. Harold had been there on a business trip at the time, but that one night changed my life forever. I was walking alone at night, probably around one in the morning when I was ambushed by a bunch of gang members in an alleyway. I tried to fight my way out but wasn't getting anywhere since there just was too many of them. I guess Harold saw me and decided to help me out by shooting the rest of the men that I was fighting. I was pretty bruised up but he said that he was impressed with my skills in combat and he asked me if I would want to train his son in combat. He said that I could stay with them if I didn't have anywhere else to stay and that he would also pay me for the time training his son. So I went back to his mansion with him and started to train Jake when he was just 14 years old. After I was done training him, Harold said that they would gladly have me stay with them and have me teach other new people coming in. I accepted since I knew I didn't have anywhere else to go and actually quite liked it here, the family was very welcoming. Now here we are." She said, looking over at me.

"We should get back to your training, we still have a bit to do before your next area of training." She said as she got up and got the hand targets.

I was glad to have a talk with Haley, she was one of those people that everyone seemed to like being with. She didn't make you feel judged or unwelcome, just comfortable.