Sleep Tight

Back in 8th grade I had come down with a severe case of tonsillitis. The night before I went to the hospital I was laying in my bed hacking up a storm. I had a fever but didn't have the energy to cover myself up so I just layed there cold and sick.

During a particularly bad coughing fit I heard my door open and felt my comforter get pulled up my body up to my shoulders. I pulled an arm out to hug the blanket closer to me and in a low raspy voice I said "Thank you." I heard a sweet laugh from who I asumed was my mom. Then a moment later I heard multiple high pitch voices say in harmony. "You're welcome. Sleep tight." Then I felt four pairs of left hands lightly grasp my arm and one other cold hand stroke my cheek. Then they all let go and I heard my door close.

In my delirium I thought nothing of it. Maybe I was hallucinating, I don't know. The next morning I woke up groggy and trying to remember the previous night. As I was recounting the incident I looked over and in a horrified and strained voice I called out, "Mom!" My bedroom door was wide open and my closet door was left closed.

This was weird because my bedroom door was always closed. My room was the coldest room in our apartment so I would have my door closed while the space heater blew on the highest mode. I also never closed my closet. It's sounds odd, I know, but my mom kept most of her clothes in my closet seeing as our apartment was very small and i had a dresser to keep my clothes in. So I left it open so that when she came in to get a shirt or pants, she could just walk in and grab it.

When I told my mom all of this she just laughed and said I was probably just dreaming and that I was sick so my mind was playing tricks on me. She sent me back to my room where my throat continued to get worse and worse. Finally, after countless coughing fits, losing my voice, and a few tears from the pain in my throat, she took me to the doctor who said I needed to have my tonsils removed.

After I returned home, I saw my closet open again even though no one touched it. I'm still creeper out about it but I haven't experienced anything since.