Chapter Twenty

Collier felt terrible.

Absolutely terrible.

He couldn't believe that he had actually spent part of his night in Carter Vanroy's apartment. He couldn't believe that he had actually, for the first time in his life, been irresponsible with alcohol. But most of all, Collier couldn't believe he had done all of that with Henry.

He had spent a night with Henry Stone and his friends.

Henry Stone. When Collier thought that name, so many memories came back to him.

Henry in elementary school, still so serious as him and Emerson ran around on the playground. Henry in middle school, talking to girls who swooned over him and not even bothering to look the least bit interested. Henry freshman year, smiling at Emerson as they leaned against their lockers wearing their varsity volleyball jerseys. Henry sophomore year and Henry junior year and then Henry within the first few weeks of senior year and then-

Henry last night.

Collier remembered the way Henry's arms had slid his waist almost protectively as Cole sat in his lap. The way Henry had whispered on his ear and the way Henry had smiled and...

And Henry's face after Collier had come out and said that he liked him.

Oh fuck.

Collier tripped in his rush to put on pants, but didn't give himself time to find his proper footing so he stumbled down the hall. His head pounded against the inside of his skull in protest of being awake, and halfway down the hall he had to stop in the bathroom to empty his stomach into the toilet.

Brushing his teeth faster than he ever had before, Collier observed how terrible his reflection looked in the mirror, but couldn't find it in himself to care. He had to get to Henry's.

When he finally got downstairs, he was greeted by the sight of Emerson, Sarah, Ron, and his mother all sitting around the table on which dinner had been served the day before. They all looked up at him when he entered and Sarah and Emerson both grinned. Both of them had been awake when he had arrived home the night before and assured he got into bed safely.

His mother and Ron on the other hand both looked away from him, back down at their plates. "Good morning, Collier," his mother said, her voice very tight.

"Mom, I need to use the car right now". His mother froze but her eyes didn't leave her plate. Sarah on the other hand dropped her fork and looked up at him with very wide eyes. "Right now, mom!"

"Use your own car".

"You parked me in. I don't have time for this-" Collier began, exacerbated.

"I'm not letting you drive my car,".

"Then move yours so I can take my own," Cole demanded.

"Collier," Sarah cut in and Cole just glared at her to be quiet for a minute.

"You can't take my car or your car," His mother clarified and Cole raised his hands to pull at his hair in frustration.

"Why the fuck not?!"

"You know why!" She shot back and he winced. This was an incredibly low thing to say, especially since she had been encouraging him to start driving once more for the past year. "Even if you could drive, I wouldn't let you leave. Not after you ruined my dinner last night, broke all of my favorite plates, and disappeared without even saying sorry".

"I am sorry," Collier tired, moving forward and resting his hands on the table and leaning towards her. "I am so sorry mom, but I need to go now". She just looked at him blankly and it was clear she wasn't about to budge. Collier turned to Sarah. "Sarah-"