CHAPTER THIRTEEN - Coming out.

-- Leo Valdez POV --

C H A P T E R 13

After what Nico told me, I was really sad. And I don't think sad is strong enough to describe how I feel right now. Nico feels guilty and ashamed because of what he did. He thinks it's his fault and he even consulted a psychologist for two years. Elias' death broke him, because it's been two years and he's still very troubled. He didn't have the strength to read his friend's suicide letter.

The worst thing is that I can't tell Nico it's not his fault, because it is...partially. I know he regrets it, but it doesn't change what he said to Elias before he ran out. I want to believe it wasn't Nico's fault, I really do, but I have to be realistic.

Nico is asleep in my arms, breathing loudly. I stroke his black hair and kiss his forehead. I didn't sleep last night; I needed to check on him. I don't want him to have nightmares or be scared. I want to be with Nico to look after him.

A few minutes later, he opens his beautiful black eyes. He is still sleepy, but he smiles slightly at me. Something has changed in his eyes. I see...determination. And anger.

"Leo, it's decided. I need to tell my parents that I am gay. I don't care about their opinion anymore; I need to live my life, because the last time I listened to them, my best friend died," Nico declares firmly.

I smile widely. I love to see him determined like this. At least, he now knows that it's important to stay who he really is.

"Nico, that is great! Put on your clothes, I think we will leave your house after your coming out..."

His dad probably won't be pleased about Nico's homosexuality, so we'll have to run off. I don't care at all; we will just return to our dormitory.

I put on some clothes and brush my teeth. Nico does the same and after five minutes, we're both ready. I don't know if I should say that, but I still tell him:

"I'm sure Elias would be proud of you."

Nico's eyes shine with sadness and he smiles lightly. Oh, if only I could suffer for him. I want to take all his pain and put it in my body to endure it for him.

The black-haired boy takes my hand firmly and leaves his room. He closes the door and we descend the stairs rapidly and I see his mother cooking something in the kitchen. Bianca’s looking at her phone while Nico's dad his watching the news on TV. I gulp; his dad scares me.

Nico doesn't let go of my hand and I feel him tense. He is very nervous, but still determined. He opens his mouth to speak, but closes it immediately when he sees the gaze of his father on him. I gently push Nico with my shoulder, encouraging him to speak. He hesitates before declaring apprehensively:

"Mom, Dad, Bianca...Leo is my boyfriend."

I blush, but smile with confidence. Nico's dad starts to shout:

"This is not funny, Nico! Let go of his hand now or leave this house forever."

Nico stares at his father, disgusted. He finally retorts, with anger in his voice:

"Oh, this is not a joke; not at all. Yes, Dad, I am a 'faggot', like you would say. And I will never change."

Hades starts to insult both of us while Bianca is squealing uncontrollably, saying: "I knew it, I knew it!”. Nico's mom is looking at us, perplexed. She's still cooking something and she doesn’t say anything. I think she's uncertain. Hades gets up and walks towards Nico, threatening him.

Unexpectedly, I feel Nico's cold lips on mine. He kisses me passionately and ardently, almost fiercely. I respond to his kiss and grab his hips, bringing him closer. I hear his parents gasp and Bianca squeals louder, but I don't care.

Nico stops the kiss and looks at his dad, satisfaction in his black eyes.

He approaches Hades and punches him in the face with all the anger and strength he has. His dad seems very surprised and chocked. I smile. He deserved it!

"That was for Elias," Nico spits angrily, turning away and taking my hand again. We run out of the house and I yell joyfully. That was amazing! Nico definitely knows how to come out to homophobic parents...

“What do we do now?” I ask him.

Nico looks at me and smile. “What about a Happy Meal?”

My friend (or boyfriend?)once told me that he loved McDonalds. He likes to eat Happy Meals and he often ate at this restaurant when he was with his sister. Talking of Bianca; I adore her. She is very supportive and kind. I’m not sure if Nico would be sane if it wasn’t of her.

I accept Nico’s proposition and we walk quietly. I’m still day-dreaming about him kissing me when he interrupts my thoughts:

“Leo, we’re here!” He shouts happily. He must really love McDonalds, because he sounded very enthusiastic.

We enter the restaurant and I tell Nico that I will eat whatever he orders me. I find a place to sit and wait for him. A few minutes later, Nico arrives with two Happy Meals, one large glass of Pepsi and one cone of ice-cream. We will probably have to eat it together; how romantic.

He sits next to me and gives me my meal. It’s a cheeseburger with fries and a toy.

We eat silently and Nico looks very happy. I think he even forgot about Elias for a moment. I don’t want to ruin his mood, so I talk to him about random things.

“Hey, you bought vanilla ice-cream! It’s my favorite. I like licking things…”

Oh, that sounded very wrong. Nico blushes and laughs loudly. I laugh with him.

“It’s not what I think, right?” Nico asks, chuckling.

“Oh, Nico, maybe it’s exactly what you think,” I respond with a wink.

Nico looks at me. At first, I think he’s going to reprimand me or something, but suddenly, he grabs the ice-cream cone and puts it on my face, spreading it everywhere. I’m going to tell him to stop when a very weird idea comes into my head. Of course, being Leo Valdez, I say it out loud.

“Nico, you’ll have to lick my face to remove it!”

He stares at me, a little confused. Finally, he laughs and replies:

“In your dreams, Leo.” Still, he puts his finger on my nose to get some ice-cream and licks his finger thoughtfully. “Oh, I shouldn’t have wasted this ice-cream cone on your face. I’ll buy another one.”

He gets up and leaves me. I’m alone, ice-cream all over my face. I sigh but smile at the same time. I’m still thinking about Nico calling me his ‘boyfriend’ earlier. I think it’s going to be a beautiful day.

---------

Hey! I finally updated! :) Sorry it isn't a really long or good chapter, I was very busy this week.

Thanks a lot to @TWMariana101 for all the good ideas and the support :') Mental twins forever!

THEY SHOULD OBVIOUSLY FRICKLE FRACKLE, BUT I DON'T WRITE THIS KIND OF THINGS SO SORRY EVERYBODY I KNOW YOU'RE ALL DISAPPOINTED RIGHT NOW. xD

I'll try to update as soon as possible! Love you all!