chapter 12

Henry opened the door to the mansion, dropping his duffel bag in the entrance as he unlaced his shoes. He then closed the door behind him, strolling over to the living room where he could hear his ma’s voice. He walked in the door, smile settling on his face as he took in the sight of his mom practically sitting in his ma’s lap, a book on her thighs.

“Henry. You’re just in time. Come sit.”

Henry did as instructed, eyebrows rising when he noticed just what book it was they were reading.

“My storybook? Why are you reading this? It’s totally biased and makes mom look horrible. She’s not as bad as they make her out to be in here. Plus, she’s good now and that book doesn’t show that.”

Christen looked up at her son and smiled, tugging on his hand so he’d sit next to her. She kissed his cheek, warmed at his vehement defense of her character.

“I fixed the ending, kid. No worries. We’re getting to the good part now. Your mom just saved me from the Dark One’s curse ‘cause she’s the smartest person ever. And,” Tobin said, turning the page to reveal a picture of the three of them smiling at the camera, “Everything is back to normal now. The two most bad ass women-”

“Language.”

“The two most kick butt women – this does not have the same ring to it, Christen (too bad, comes the wry reply) pool their talents to raise the most amazing son ever.” Tobin flipped the page again, showing a picture of Henry on his first day of grade eight.

“Oh God, ma. That is the worst picture ever.”

“You look so handsome,” Christen said proudly, tugging the book closer to Henry’s lap. “Look at how young you are.”

“I know, mom. I was there.”

“Do not sass me,” Christen said, poking her son in the side with her elbow. “I can still strike you over my knee.”

“I’m way too tall for you to be able to do that.”

“Would you like to bet on that?” Christen asked, eyebrow raised.

“No. So, about these pictures. There’s more, I’m guessing.”

Tobin chuckled, reaching across Christen’s lap to turn the page.

“Aw,” she said, leaning her chin on Christen’s shoulder. “The first team you joined as a high schooler.”

In the photo, Henry stood before his moms, wearing his basketball jersey proudly.

“I sucked so bad back then.”

“You tried your best though and that’s all that matters,” Christen responded.

“You’re such a mom.”

“Yes, I am.”

They flipped through the next pages: Tobin and Henry on a ride at the fair last year. Tobin and Christen playing chess. The trio at the beach with Cindy and David. And then Henry’s school picture from last year.

Christen flipped the following page, knowing what was coming. Her stomach jumped nervously, and she cleared her throat as she read.

The Saviour and her Queen were incredibly proud of many of their own life accomplishments, but those did not compare in the least to their proudest achievements of all…” Christen turned the page, the top of it boldly stating THEIR CHILDREN. To the left was a photo of Henry as a baby and directly beneath, his most recent high school picture. To the right was one of the pictures of the ultrasound, and beneath, an empty frame with the words “My picture is coming in 30 weeks” written inside.