THAT IS NOT MEATLOAF

Have you ever phased out and started staring at something random?

No? No. Okay, well that's what I'm doing right now. Except, the something I'm looking at is actually a person. A person whom I just realized I've been blankly staring at for the past five minutes. I mouth a quick sorry at my classmate, whose name I don't actually know.

To be honest, I've been phasing out like that a lot today. There's just been so much on my mind that I have a hard time paying attention to what my teachers are saying. It doesn't help that this is the first day of school, and every teacher is going over the same thing.

Class rules.

It's like they forget that we've been forced to listen to this in every single class for the past four years.

As Mrs. Haplin rambles on and on about how we have to be on time and respectful, I find myself examining my fellow classmates. Because there are only two senior history classes, I know or at the very least know of, most everyone in here. They're mostly all the same people that were in my history class last year, A.P History. Of course there are a few new faces, but I'm mostly familiar with everyone here.

To my right is Gary Allred. Basically, Gary is that one weird kid that every school has. You know, the one that picks his nose and has peed himself once or twice over the years? Regardless, I've talked to him a few times, all of which have been interesting. He's a nice guy, just lacks basic people skills.

Now the person to my left is Melissa Dunbar. Melissa and I have a love hate relationship per se. We were buddy-buddy in middle school, but had some huge fight and didn't talk for a year. Ever sense then, we've just tolerated each other. To a point that is. We've gotten into heated debates about books, and have tied in just about every school competition. Basically, we're too alike to get along.

While I could go on explaining everyone in the classroom, that would take forever, so here is a summary. My school, like all others is made up of both intentional and unintentional cliques. You've got your Jocks, your Cheerleaders, Techies, Goths, Anime Geeks, those people that always seem to be high, then there's people like Marissa and I. Full time Nerds.

That fact used to bother me, but now I've come to terms with it. I actually happen to like being a nerd.

Camie on the other hand, is one of those people that doesn't really belong in any particular group. She is a computer god, yet is somehow still popular enough to be friends with a few cheerleaders.

The bell rings, releasing my peers and me to migrate to our next class. Everyone begins to rush out of the classroom like a herd of elephants. Meaning, if you're not quick enough, you'll get trampled. Literally. The year before last, some girl fell in the middle of the hallway during the lunch bell and broke two ribs.

Speaking of lunch, because of my painfully hectic morning, I forgot to pack myself something to eat. Nor was I able to eat breakfast. So now, I'm stuck with whatever our cafeteria is serving. Great.

Per usual, I am the last person to leave the classroom. I'd rather not be trampled by starving students, thank you very much. Besides it gives me a chance to ask my teacher for upcoming assignments.

Waving goodbye to Mrs. Haplin, I rush out into the hall. Its lunch period now, and If I don't get there quick, I won't get any food. Food that I most likely won't eat. I'm a food snob, I know.

Walking into the Cafeteria, I make my way to the lunch line. Miss. Mayz, the Lunch Lady, gives me a smile before plopping "meatloaf" onto my plastic plate.

I try to hide my disgust when I look down at my lunch. The supposed meatloaf in front of me is tinted green and smells awful. I mouth a quick thank you before walking over to Camie and I's designated table.