1• J A S P E R

"It's been months since we've had rainfall like this." Kira muttered to herself picking up her skirts to make her way through the tunnel.

The castles tunnels were flooded and just when Kira had to make the long and tiring travel to Kentren on horseback the skies opened up.

"At least the saddles will be dry milady." Sloane offered trying to keep up with her. "And you have your cloak, I'm sure Laird McDonna won't mind if your a few days late of arrival to get to Castle Kentren."

"He would Sloane, me and you both know what a disgraceful man that is." Kira stopped and turned to face the maid.

Sloane's mouth formed a scowl and a crease folded between her eyebrows, "I know milady, I wish you donna have to go to d'at castle. I hear Connor McDonna is the cruelest man to ever walk the highlands."

Kira grasped the maids hands and squeezed tightly, "there is nothing I can do Sloane. I was betrothed to him long before I had a choice as a piece offering between our fathers." Kira tried to smile. "Thank you for your friendship Sloane. I will forever be grateful."

"Lady Kira!" A small figure darted towards the two and crashed into Kira's skirts. "Please donna let them take you! I canna let you leave me."

"Now Jasper, you and I both know that I have to go, and I'm going to have so much fun there." The boy gazed up at Kira through the folds in her skirts.

"But the stable boys told me that Laird McDonna is the devil himself." Tears we're starting to form in the corners of the boys eyes.

"Those boys must be mistaken, Laird McDonna is the sweetest brute there has ever been." Kira wiped the boys tears, "besides, it'll only be a few months and I'll be inviting you to come play with me anyway."

"You promise!" The boys face lit up.

"I promise." She squeezed the boys shoulders, "now run along and help your mother with the chores I know it's laundry day."

Jasper's nose turned up before he hugged the lady's legs again. "I'm going to miss you Lady Kira."

"As will I Jasper, now go before you get yourself in trouble."

After the boy was gone down the walkway Kira turned to Sloane, "If something is to happen to me, that boy is to be told I came down with a sickness and that is all. Do you understand?"

Sloane's head shook, "Yes milady, you are very kind and brave." The lady's embraced, both wondering if they would ever see each other again on this Earth.

________

A few hours into Kira's ride and she was soaked to the bone. The rain hadn't let up at all and the horses were walking through slop.

"Shouldn't we stop here for the night, or at least until the rain lets up, surely if we continue the horse's hoofs will be ruined." Kira asked the boy beside her.

"We were given strict instructions milady, we are not to stop unless it is an emergency." The boys face was solemn. "I am sorry Lady Kira."

"Don't be sorry on my fathers instructions. It is not your mind that came up with the details of our journey. As is I am very grateful for your company sir-?"

"Oh milady you are mistaken, I am no sir, only the son of the stable master, my name is Dodson, but everybody calls me Dod."

It wasn't much longer that they did stop for the night but only because the horses were close to exhaustion.

"Dod," called Kira, "I don't believe I completely know how to roll out a cot."

The young boy stopped what he was doing by the small fire and ambled over to Kira.

"I can do that for ye milady." He took the cot from her hands and started to make a makeshift bed from it.

Out of the ten or so men accompanying her on the two day trip Dod was the only one who had bothered to talk to her, by order, she did not know.

"Dod, if you do not mind me asking, why are you accompanying me?" The boy stopped his movements and turned towards her.

"I am to be your servant when we arrive at Castle Kentren."

Kira could feel the crease building in her eyebrows, "but you are a lad, what use would you be to me."

"Aye milady, I may be a boy but they say I am not meant to work in the stables or the fields Master Crohn said I have a weak heart."

Kira felt sympathy for the boy, he was of no use for her father so he cast him out with the rest of his disappointment, herself.

As she was falling asleep she couldn't help but think that Laird McDonna would have to be less of a brute than her father.