Until the days of spring . . .

Spring Day
A Park Jimin One-shot

April 4, 2021

Minji's white shoes press against the melting snow, the ice breaking and sloshing underneath her feet. Multiple times her foot would sink in watery mud, leaving her to stop for a few seconds and shake out her leg, only stalling the inevitable.

Tears welled in Minji's eyes, the cold air drying them in her eyes, making sure they don't fall. Her cheeks were flushed from the wind and the unshed tears that refused to fall. Maybe if they fell, she'd feel better, but Minji knew that even after a year, nothing has made her feel better.

Distance is what she gave herself. She barely works, her family worries, her siblings alway try to contact her, and she never seems to be home when they try to visit. Debt is what she's in. In love and money.

Chilled to the bone, Minji pulls his coat tighter around herself, hoping to surround herself with his comforting warmth, but said warmth never came like it used to. It was never a very warm jacket, she remembers, he always used to complain–

She stopped in her tracks. Fresh tears stung at her eyes.

She often would rub her hands together in hope of restoring the warmth in them, but again, she was unsuccessful in her attempts. Minji's dark hair that was pushed under a knitted hat, blew around her pale face, somewhat shielding it from the harsh wind, and effectively obscuring her vision more than the tears do.

Minji was almost there and she could feel the hurt and longing, the undeniable guilt that welded up in her stomach for over a year. Everyone told her it wasn't her fault, but did anyone really expect her to accept that?

She couldn't take the weight of her feelings anymore. The tears that dried in Minji's eyes finally broke through, almost immediately drying on her face, but was instantly replaced with more. Minji's legs broke from under her and she fell onto her knees, the bitter cold from the melting snow pushing through the fabric of her pants, dampening them. She stayed like that for a while, her head in her hands, one over her mouth to muffle the sobs.

Her mind swirled back to the day it happened.

It was the day after Jimin had told Minji he was coming home to her forever. They had been apart for over two years, it would have been three in a week. He was the love of her life and they needed to see each other. Years they've been together, sweethearts since high school, and stable for two years after graduation. After those two years passed, though, Minji wanted to leave her home of South Korea, to go to North American for education. And her boyfriend didn't take the news well. He loved her to the ends of the Earth and it tore him apart to be away from her. But he agreed, knowing Minji had always wanted the opportunity she was given.

She wanted him to come – it tore her apart just as much as him to not be with Jimin – but he had said no. His family, his friends, everything was in South Korea and he couldn't leave everything behind, he wouldn't. The day before she left was heartbreaking for the both of them.

Jimin, who had moved out right after he graduated, shared an apartment with Minji, neither of them wanting to be apart. It was close to midnight and neither of them could sleep, even though she had a flight at eight the very next morning.

They laid in their bed, Jimin on his back, Minji clinging to his side. They spent their last day together just cuddling, nothing more than sweet affection. She held him tight, possibly hurting him, but never loosening once as if slightly letting up on her grip would make the world tear him away from her arms. But Jimin never complained and only held her closer.