1 | Crossing Fate

She was reincarnated into the popular otome game, 'Cards: Queen of Hearts'.

A shocking revelation, as one could imagine that waking up with the most hated villainess' face on your body wasn't the best way to wake up. Still, it was better than dying - and she was grateful for the extra chance that fate had given her.

Dying, though she hadn't really died, wasn't very painful. It wasn't as most people described it; it wasn't the feeling of nothing, nor was it extreme pain. More of an... in-between; like pain, but muted and dulled. And then, void - nothing, just space. It was a strange sensation.

The game she was in - Cards: Queen of Hearts - was by no means thrilling, and she played it more as a way to pass the time. With a clichéd plot and rather bland characters, only the highly developed visuals saved it from being marked as a failure. And even then, she had quickly gotten bored with it after a week - losing interest without an exciting plotline.

It was set in the upper echelons of modern society, where the heroine was the illegitimate child of Lord Eden and a serving maid. She was formally adopted by the duke, and became a part of the Eden estate - but was verbally abused by her stepmother, who hated the constant reminder of her husband's disloyalty. After her father pulled a few strings, she was enrolled into CARDS, an elite school where the game officially began.

You see, CARDS was a very unique school, of which you enrolled into at the age of 18. When first arriving at the school, the students were separated into 4 factions: Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs and Spades.

Hearts were generally the nobles; Diamonds, the merchants; Clubs, the soldiers; and Spades, the scholarship students. The 4 capture targets were titled kings of their respective factions, and the heroine was in Hearts, same as the villainess.

There were 4 main capture targets, of which were:
Lys Aquila - the King of Diamonds, Vincent Harvien - the King of Spades, Eli Augustus - the King of Hearts, and Naito Everclaine - the King of Clubs and the villainess's adopted younger brother.

However, as Vincent was a scholarship student, he frequently studied in the library and was quite introverted in character; leading to the fans categorising it as an unofficial hidden capture target.

There were also two official hidden capture targets; of which were two members of the teaching staff.

The heroine, in that typical heroine manner, gained the interest of the capture targets with her supposed intelligence, cuteness, and innocence. However, like all clichéd plots, most of the noble ladies got jealous - and a lot of subtle bullying was then aimed at the airhead heroine; the topic of her rank and birth frequently mentioned in an attempt to undermine her.

One of the things that made this game so disliked was the heroine's victim mentality; she kept on complaining to the capture targets for every little thing. How they could stand her was beyond most of the players. Honestly, all the options provided for anything were all wimpy as well.

For instance:
[You walk slowly into the hallway, trying to find your classroom. Suddenly, you walk into a broad back, causing murmurs to sound in the crowd. Looking up at the handsome face, you pale in shock. You... ]

[A] Apologise to the prince while tearing up
[B] Start crying
[C] Bow your head and apologise in a meek manner

Only these types of responses were given as an option; one needs to mention that the game producers were heavily questioned by everyone in this aspect - because just who thought that these responses were normal?

Now, the villainess; loud and arrogant, this was another character that was heavily questioned by Lilith. A spoiled brat, thinking herself god's gift to humanity; she was the love rival for all routes, and ended up dead in all endings - regardless of how close the original relationship may have been. Spoiled from a young age, it was no wonder she ended up like that - a self-entitled brat.

The villainess, Lotis Everclaine, first daughter of the Everclaine Dukedom; and she, Lilith Sawada, the firstborn daughter of a world different to this. Two very different people - yet somehow, their fates had merged, and she was now the villainess.

Looking in the mirror, she scrutinised her appearance in this world; golden blonde hair that framed the pale skin and blue eyes, with rosy lips that looked soft and inviting - a stark difference from her original brown hair, and dark coloured eyes. She was a beautiful figure, by any means.

Nodding in satisfaction, she went over the death flags and the ways to avoid them in her mind.

Currently, she was 15 years old - fully equipped with her prior university level intelligence and mindset. According to the storyline, the villainess' adopted younger brother and she had a month age difference, and he was adopted when she was 17 - so there was still 2 years left before the appearance of her first death flag.

Hopefully, now that she was here, things could change.

The reason the villainess was so hated was because she was a very interactive character, as in she constantly belittled and bullied the heroine - being a general nuisance which resulted in her eventual deaths. If it was just that, then she would just not interact with the capture targets anymore - destroying the problem from the roots.

It was just that, Murphy's Law states that whatever can go wrong, will go wrong - and neither Lilith Sawada, nor Lotis Everclaine, were ever lucky with fate