Part 18

The more she heard about Zoe, Arlen, Evans Dad Oliver and the kids, the more she wanted to get to know them by herself, though she was a little afraid of meeting them. She was not so naïve to believe that his family would find a blind girl on a farm a good match for Evan. Her hope was, that she would learn to work on a farm even being blind and that they would accept her.

Maybe she could take care of the kids while the others were on the fields. But then, she could not talk to the kids, they could not hear her. This second spell more and more presented itself as truly annoying. And she did not know any way to break it. Did she have a sister who could do something against it? But then, even if, she could not simply ask her to help her. It was truly hopeless.

Also the memories of her first year on this world came to her mind. Though the farmers had fought one another to get her to their home, she had always been chased away soon. She remembered how especially the farmers' wifes had been keen on getting rid of her. And how she started to hide her face and hair to stay safe of strange men. But she hoped, that this time it would be different. At least she had Evan.

She did not share her thoughts with Evan, rather tried to relax with him.

In the evening, they helped Zoe in the kitchen. Zoe had given Eleeza a knife and now she was peeling potatoes for dinner. She was happy that Zoe made it possible for her to help. Zoe and Evan had a lot of fun, singing and joking while cooking.

In the midst of their fun, Eleeza heard children cries from outside. Attuned to the sound she stopped cutting off the peel of the potatoes. The children came close to the farm. A dark voice seemed to give some tasks. Then rusting began and finally the door of the farm opened. Only then Zoe and Evan listened up. Heavy steps neared the door and it opened.

"Dad, you are back. See, what a surprise! Evan is here and brought April." Zoe greeted him and walked towards him.

Eleeza guessed from the sounds that Zoe took the jacket of him.

Then Oliver took his son in his arms. "I am glad, that you came back so early. We can really use some help on the farm!"

"I will stay here for a very long time now, Dad. I quit my job on the castle", Evan explained his Dad.

Then they looked to Eleeza, who had put the knife on the table and stood up now, but didn't dare to move away without a guiding hand. "And who are you, pretty girl?"

Eleeza flushed red and was surprised. She still had her blindfold on and nevertheless Oliver sounded sincere.

Evan answered for her: "Dad, this is April. I met her in the castle and we decided to come to live here. You know, I wrote of her, remember? She has been cursed by the Queen to be blind and to be heard only by the royal family and me. I hope she is welcome here!"

During their exchange, Arlen and the kids had entered the room. Everybody was intent on Oliver's response.

"If this is your girl, Evan. She is welcome in our home!", then he walked to her and put his arms on her shoulders. Eleeza sensed his deep, old man's breath on her face: "Welcome to our farm, April!"

Eleeza smiled and put a hand to her heart to express her thanks. Then she heard one of the kids, maybe a girl, whisper: "She is so very beautiful! I have never seen such a beautiful girl." Eleeza had to hide a smile, because they obviously could not know that she would hear them.

She heard other footsteps coming but not to her, it had to be Arlen. When she heard a man's, voice start to talk to Zoe she knew she was right, and that pleased her immensely.

"Kids, why don't you welcome April and tell her your names?" Evan's steps neared the whispering children. They had been talking about her, but Eleeza had ignored most of it, she did not want to infer too much in their privacy. After a short moment three pairs of feet came with light steps towards her.

They were standing in front of her but none of them dared to speak to her. She heard their heartbeats slowly increase. Evan clapped one on the back: "Come on, you are the oldest."

"Hi, I am Lay", she said. Eleeza identified her immediately as a girl. To show that she was pleased to meet her, Eleeza moved her hand to her heart again: "Evan, how old is she?" she asked.

"Lay, tell her something about you. She is asking about your age and maybe she also wants to know what you look like."

"I turned nine in April and I have brown hair like Evan, but a little curlier. And..." Eleeza smiled as Lay turned quiet.

She heard that she made some gestures and another child raised his voice:"I am Aspen. I am the oldest boy here", he said proudly. "Oh, and I am seven years old!" Eleeza had to keep from laughing, such a cute boy.

Then the last boy spoke up: "I am Wylie and I am this old!" He must have lifted his hand and showed his age with his fingers, for everyone started chuckling.

"He just turned five." Zoe explained "And still does not know the numbers! Young lad, do your homework!", she scowled but with a hearty nuance.

"Now, kids you go clean yourself and then come to set the table. Dinner is almost ready!", the children rushed off the kitchen quickly, they must have been uncomfortable with Eleeza. Eleeza tried to remember which name belonged to which voice, so that she might differentiate them in future.

"They are really cute kids!", she told Evan.

"I know!", he sighed, "And I do love them!" The others in the kitchen turned silent for a moment.

"I guess we have to get used to the fact, that not only you are here now, but that we cannot hear you, April. It's just strange to hear Evan talk so out of context.", she explained.

Eleeza nodded to show her understanding. Even she had to get used to the fact first.