Ch 49 & 50

Chapter 49

                “Dave, I really wish you had let me go to the NICU first,” I told him, chewing my lip as he navigated the streets of LA over to the Hawkins’. It was the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the day of my shower.

                “Babe,” he said, giving my hand a squeeze, “He’s fine there right now. And we need to do this, our friends and family have put a lot of thought and a lot of time into this shower.”

                “I just ache inside when I’m not with him,” I said, frowning. Dave pressed the back of my hand to his lips.

                “I know, honey,” he said. “But this will be good for us, to do a normal, happy baby thing, to see all of our friends, and get some loot!” I laughed.

                “You’re right!” I said, trying put myself in the mood for the shower. Dave looked at me and smiled.

It had been a week and a half since James was born and Dave and I had been to the NICU everyday. He was so tiny, but gaining weight and all signs pointed to a normal, healthy baby. He was so small, weighing only about four pounds. He had the tiniest amount of fuzz on his head for hair and it looked as if he was going to have Dave’s dark locks. It was so hard to see him hooked up to so many tubes and lines, but as Dave was constantly reminding me, this was just temporary and soon we’d be able to take home a healthy, happy baby.

                 My parents had flown in the day after I delivered J.D. and were staying with Dave and I. Virginia and Lisa had also been a constant presence and I was so happy to have them all there. Everyone had been so wonderful, supportive and helpful, and now, they were all throwing me this big baby shower! It was a truly touching experience.

                When we pulled up to the Hawkins’ residence, there was a line of cars down the street. Dave came around and opened my door, helping me out. I was still pretty slow moving from the complications during delivery and my blood pressure was still slightly out of whack. As a result, Dave was never far from my side. I think that he was still beating himself up for not seeing the signs of preeclampsia the night I went into labor.

                Alison greeted us at the front door, hugging me tightly. I looked around her house, which has been beautifully decorated with all things baby-blue. She took my arm and led me out back to the patio, where I was greeted by almost 100 guests! My mom, Ginny and Lisa came over immediately and hugged me.

                “Thank you all so much!” I said, awe-struck, looking around. Dave and I made the rounds for a little bit until I need to go sit down. Alison led us over to a love seat and Dave sat down next to me.

                “Where’s T?” Dave asked Alison.

                “He just ran out to pick up one last surprise for Kate,” she said, smiling.

                “More?” I said, astounded. “It’s too much, Alison.” She shook her head.

                “You are going to love it,” she said. “Just wait!” We sat for a little bit longer and various guests came up to congratulate us and wish us well. After not too long, Taylor popped his head out the back door and waved to Alison.

                “Ok, Katie,” she said, beaming. “Close your eyes!” I closed them and covered them with my hands, smiling with anticipation. “Ok, you can open them now!” she said after a few short moments. I removed my hands and opened my eyes and there in front of me stood Heidi and Danielle. I shrieked.