Chapter 6

I sat on Henrys front porch watching the slight breeze stir the long grass. The buzz of cicadas and the occasional squawk of a bird overhead was the only thing I heard. I knelt over with my arms folded over my knees and my head resting on my forearms. My ribs still hurt. And a couple of scratches from the thorns and sharp twigs had finally begun to sting like a papercut.
A single image cluttered my mind. The brutal stare of the hollow eyes, the shaggy hair and smudged printing. It was something I saw as I limped through town with Henry. It was a missing poster. One for none other than Patrick Hockstetter. A part of my mind felt happy that he was gone, he was a terrible human being.
A smaller part of me was upset at the very sentence I just thought; who wants to find him? He, like so many other kids in Derry have gone missing. But all those kids have had search parties looking for them. Nobody wants to look for Patrick. Everyone collectively hated him. Even his parents.
    I heard the screen door open with a creak then slam close, with a grunt Henry sat beside me with a bottle of peroxide and a couple of bandaids. I watched as he lifted the edge of my shirt sleeve up then proceeded to pour the peroxide into its cap and dab it on the small cuts. I felt my arm muscles tightened at the familiar sting of the chemical. He slid over to my other side and did the same to my other arm.
    "There ya go," He said sitting back and he looked at me, gave a small smile and looked out at the road.
     "You know," I said quietly, "Your not all the bad, Bowers,"
     He looked at me quizzically.
      "Everyone say your a loony, but when you arent around anyone else your quite nice," he snorted at this and looked away.
      "Im only nice around you," he whispered.
      "Why is that?" The words slipped out of my mouth before I could stop them.
     "I dunno actually. I just have this feeling."
       I raised an eyebrow. He sighed.
      "I have a feeling something bad is gonna happen and I just want to make the best of it before it happens,"
      "Oh,"
Silence.
       "You should hang out with us more often," He didnt look at me as he said this.
I sat up and lightly patted my rib cage.
"Sure sounds great," we both started to laugh.
"Alright no more Barrens I can take a hint," He ran a hand through his hair.
"What time is it?" I asked. I liked to know what time it was.
"I dunno," he shrugged.
"Thanks," I sighed.
"Well what do you want me to do?!" He half asked half yelled.
"Its your house!" I said throwing my arm back and gesturing to the front door.
"Ugh," he sat up and walked inside slamming the door. I rolled my eyes.
He came back and stayed silent till he sat down.
"Clocks broken," he said simply.
I shook my head.
Silence.
I layed my head on his shoulder. I could feel his muscles stiffen.
"Im tired," I whispered.
"Me too," I felt his arm wrap around my shoulders. I closed my eyes.
A few moments later he spoke again.
"Hey Y/n?"he asked quietly, his voice barely above a whisper.
"Ya?" I asked not even bothering to open my eyes.
"I'm sorry about the Barrens thing, I shouldnt have gotten you caught up in my drama,"
"Is cool," My voice slurred a bit as I spoke.
"Okay,"
Silence.
"Hey Henry?"
"Hmm?"
"You smell,"
"Git off me then!" He shrugged me away and moved a bit farther away.
I laughed as I sat up straight. A small bit of blush creeped onto his face.
"And for your information, I smell fine!"
He lifted the collar of his shirt up. Then dropped it and winced.
"Maybe I smell a teensy bit."
I laughed a bit and this time he joined in too.