chapter four

you were my warmth, my will to live. without you, life is pointless to me.

"aish, hyung! that stings!"

"yes, yes. i know, now shut up and let me work, damn it."

yoongi spent the next fifteen minutes cleaning jungkook's cuts. there were so many of them, he didn't know where to begin when he first saw them. turns out the cuts and bruises extended to his chest and shoulders. 

"if you don't want people to notice this," yoongi muttered, sealing another bandage in place. "you'll probably want to wear a lot of long sleeves for the next couple of... weeks."

jungkook nodded. he had gotten rid of his gum and was attacking a bag of cashew nuts that he had stored in his backpack. the food made yoongi realize that he was hungry, but he couldn't let that happen. he had to make the food jin gave him last, because he didn't need his hyung going through the effort to feed another mouth.

"so, why were you late to class today?" jungkook asked, picking through the bag. "i mean, you were earlier than usual, but you usually aren't so distraught going into class. you always sleep through it, but today you just kept staring off into space."

yoongi had almost forgotten where he was earlier. the memory of the cold graveyard stung the back of his mind like an angry hive of bees.

"i..." yoongi set down the roll of bandages. for a moment, it seemed like nothing at all happened. but he couldn't ignore the fact that something had.

"i went to go see him."

jungkook blinked. "you... you did what?" he asked.

yoongi stared at the floor in front of him. "i went to see jimin."

"o-oh. oh..."

"yeah, um..." yoongi struggled to find the right words. "jin encouraged me to go. it had been a while, so i figured... yeah."

jungkook seemed to have trouble figuring out what to say as well. "i mean, that's good isn't it? at least, you know... you went to see him."

"sure. i guess." yoongi left it at that. 

to be honest, he was never over jimin. he would never be. that kid... he had something in him that could never fail to bring out the best in yoongi. whatever it would be, whenever he was with him, he would always want to make him proud of him. whenever jimin was around, yoongi would just feel this warmth inside him, a feeling of adoration and just pure love for his friend, which was odd. his few friends knew that he cared about them, but yoongi rarely showed it. with jimin, he wanted the kid to know how adored he was. maybe it was just who he was. or maybe it was his situation that made yoongi more insistent about paying more attention to him.

yoongi sighed, a heavy weight on his shoulders. jungkook could tell there was something wrong with his hyung. struggling, he shifted closer to him and placed a hand on his shoulder comfortingly.

"if you don't want to tell me, that's okay, but i don't like seeing you like this. if there's anything i can do anything to help, let me know, okay?

yoongi felt all resistance leave his body almost instantly. he practically collapsed back down on the couch, slumping into the grungy pillows. jungkook's brow creased with worry. he leaned forward, slipping his shirt back on carefully as to not tear any of the fresh bandages. 

"y-yoongi?"

"i can't understand," yoongi blurted out."i can't understand how a person so...simple and unique could make me feel like a whole new human being, who was so important and worth it, like he said." yoongi hesitated, placing his head in his hands. "he gave me stars, he gave me his all, and i tried to do the same for him. now... look how that turned out."