chapter 1

August 21st, 1914

Diary,

Papa has been working too hard again. His age has too large an effect to be healthy on his body. Too many hours does he spend working away in the fields. I fear that his time may be winding short. Mama must stay busy in the house to keep it in order. I will try to help as much as I can, but there is only so much that I can do. I truly hope Thomas will return soon , but with the war occurring, God only knows what will happen. Someday, I hope I will leave all the travesties of this country side behind and start again. Surely, there must be more out there?

Yours hopefully,

Evelyn

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I close my eyes and let out a tension filled sigh. The beginnings of the first sunlight are passing through my curtains and into my room, filling it with the summers warmth.

Sunrise.

Soon my mother will come to call for me. I might as well be ready when she does.

I stand from my seat at my small writing desk and make my way over to my dresser. I begin pulling out my daily work clothing: a full length, button up cotton dress. Even though it's summer, we can't afford the lavish clothing of the elites who live in the city. Furthermore,  how unwitting would it be to work in the fields in anything less practical. The dress is a simple grey and has past dirt marks along the hem at the bottom. Normally, I would just do house work alongside mother, but since Thomas isn't here someone else must step forward to help Papa in the fields. Along with my dress I pull out an old apron and my pair of leather flats. Simple. Practical.

Ordinary.  Just like every other day.

Just as I  begin pulling my dark curls back into a bun, my mother knocks at my door.

"Evelyn! Rise up, darling. There is much work to be done. Go and help your father in the fields."

"Yes, mama." I call back. I gather and pin back the rest of my hair before making my way down stairs. I skip over my mother preparing breakfast, and immediately head out to the fields. Papa is my main priority as of now.

The sun begins growing brighter the higher that it rises. The rays of light reflect off of the stream that runs by our small cottage, and connects to the pump just beside it. Another chore I will attend to later. I quicken my pace and head past the stream to our fields near by. I see the figure of my father hunched over working to collect our harvest. As I draw closer, he stands and gives me a strained greeting.

"Evelyn, my dearest. You grow in beauty with every sunrise. Such beauty does not belong out here in the dusty fields and rising heat. You should be inside helping your mother."

"Oh papa," I fuss, rushing to help him with his first harvest patch. "Mama has always been holding her own since Thomas left. I need to be out here with you. You are not as young as you once were and need to heed more caution. I only wish I could do more to help you both."

"Bah!" He let's out a frustrated sigh and continues to pick through the fields. " You should not concern yourself with such things, my dear. You are young and should be dreaming about starting your own life, not worrying yourself with the pace of mine or your mothers."

"Yes, but what is my own life if you both are not in it? True, I do wish for grand adventures and to explore, but you both mean too much to me."

"Stop your worrying, my child. Your mother and I have held our own for many years and will continue to hold them for many more. You just concern yourself with your own dreams and achieving them. As for wanting to do more for us, you have already done so much by being a blessing the day you were born. Now enough fussing!" With this he wraps an arm around me and hugs me, the smell of earth and sweat reminding me of his years of intelligence and hardwork.

He releases me and collects the batch of harvest from my arms which I have gathered. "How about a deal, my girl? Since you wish to do more, I will allow it. From now on you will run our errands at the market place in the evenings." I smile at this and begin to thank him but he continues on. "However, along with this, you will help her mother more with her duties inside rather than more with mine out here. Understood?"

I smile once more and agree. "Yes papa, understood."

Sparkling eyes and a warm smile greet me back. " Good,  now run along and go to your mother. You must help her with those chores if you would like to run those errands tonight."

I turn back and hastily make my way back to the cottage. Much work needed to be done before those errands.

Little did I know what such errands would entail.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A/N: Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed the first chapter! I will update again soon. Let me know me know what you think and what you think will happen in the future. Much love!)

*All references and material regarding Frankenstein belong to the creative mind of Mary Shelley