Chapter One: Phone Call

Ch 1: 電話

There are a lot of things where a 'ringing' sound can be heard. It can come from an ambulance, the deafening silence, or maybe an alarm clock.

In my case, it's my little sister imitating a ringing phone.

Early morning I felt like my insides were being pounded over and over. The bed was squeaking with such force as my ears hurts from her ever high pitch voice, chanting continously.

"RINGRINGRINGRINGRINGRING!" Hanako shouted over and over in a joyous tone as she kept bouncing up and down on my stomach.

I think I'm going to be sick.

"Nope! You're going to be late for school!"

Eh? Did I say that out loud?

"Come oooon! You're going to be late!" Hanako whined as she kept on bouncing on my stomach. God, it hurts now. "H-Hanako-chan, can you please get off my stomach? It's s-starting to hurt..."

She stopped bouncing, thank God. But she didn't stop chanting--or rather ringing--in a high-pitched voice. My fingers curled inside my ears, face squinting. "Haanakoooo..." I moaned in despair. She stopped. My head is still dizzy so I laid there for a while. I opened my eyes and looked at my sister who is still sitting on my stomach.

Hanako had her hand resting on her cheeks. She had a wide smile on her face, black eyes twinkling. She's giving me a cute look. Oh God...that could only mean one thing.

"You want pancakes on the way to school, don't you?" I guessed. Hanako puffed her cheeks. "How'd you know?"

"The look on your face." I tried to sit up. I picked Hanako up and set her down on the floor. I yawned, stretching my back before I hear my bones popping. Dang, I slept like a log. Hanako was already dressed in her school uniform. White blouse, red ribbon bowtie, black suspenders and skirt, I say she's ready to go to school.

"Wait, did you eat breakfast already?" I asked with a brow raised. She looked at me with a hum and shook her head. "Nope! I was waiting for you to wake up!"

I groaned. "Hanakooo..." I muttered. But it did soften my heart. It was kind of her to wait for me, and responsible too! I don't want her burning our only house. That reminds me...what time is it? I looked over to my bedside and spotted the small clock. Red numbers flashed on screen. 7:20 AM. Huh.

HUH 7:20??

"HANAKO!" My sister flinched, dropping the rabbit plushie. "Why didn't you wake me up earlier than seven?!" I know shouting at your sister is bad, but she could've atleast woke me up earlier than that!

Hanako giggled and shrugged. Sigh. Osana is probably waiting for me. She always do. We usually walk together to school that's why we have a schedule when waking up. As childhood friends, it's normal. She probably went to school without me.

"Anyways, Najimi-senpai came by and I told her you're still sleeping." She said with a smile, picking up Mr. Hoppers from the ground. I felt sweat build at my neck. I nodded, standing up to fix my bed. I'll just assume she's pissed as usual.

Osana likes to be punctual. As annoying as she is, I don't blame her. Being punctual is okay. I just hope she's not mad when I get to school.

I tousled Hanako's hair after fixing my bed. "I'll make breakfast. Wait for me at the table."

She smiled widely before nodding, running outside my room.

The sun peaked through my windows. Little beams of light under the nooks of the frame. The fresh smell of tree leaves wafted through my room. When I opened my window I got the view of the peaceful neighborhood I learned to grow with. A cat meowed and another replied. The bell of the newsboy dinged softly. I saw him speeding on his bike, tossing a fresh roll of newspaper at every doorstep. I sighed in content.