Chapter 3

Miami, Summer Before Senior Year

Camila lay on Lauren's bed, playing with the blanket. Lauren was looking over the forms she needed to fill out for cheerleading camp that summer. She chewed on the pen in her hand.

"Hey Lolo?" Camila whispered.

"Hmm?" Lauren replied.

"Do you really want to do cheerleading camp? I mean, Coach Spears told us that the instructor was about as useful as a beached whale and then said she kinda looked like one on top of that. I didn't really get much better either."

"Well then what do you suggest we do?" Lauren asked. "Do you really want to stay in Miami all summer doing nothing? I think I'd kill myself." Camila flopped onto her stomach and scooted over to the edge where Lauren was leaning.

"I want to see the sunrise." She said.

"Okay. We'll get up every morning at 4 and climb onto the roof of the dorm so you can see the sunrise." Lauren suggested.

"Not from cheerleading camp!" Camila giggled. "I want to see it over the ocean!"

"Like...the Atlantic ocean..." Lauren stated, turning to look at Camila. "Camz, that's like...a day's worth of driving away from cheerleading camp."

"Then we're not going to cheerleading camp." Camila replied. "Come on, Laur...my aunt lives right on the beach. We could stay with her!"

"Your...gay...aunt." Lauren clarified.

"Yeah, she's happy."

"And married to a woman." The older brunette pointed out.

"That too." Camila added. "Come on, Lauren, we could go there for a few days, and then...we'll see! If you want to come back and do cheerleading camp. But can we go? Pleaassee? This'll be the last vacation we'll have as high school students. Pleeaaassee?" She pouted and gave Lauren puppy dog eyes. Lauren sighed.

"Camz, this is ridiculous. We haven't planned anything out!"

"Sure we did!" Camila flopped on her back and started counting on her fingers. "You have a car. I have an aunt. Let's go!"

"That's not what I mean, Camila. I mean we can't just up and leave. I have to clear it with my parents and you have to clear it with yours. And then we have to call up your aunt..." Without warning, Camila got off the bed and all but sprinted downstairs. Lauren gave an exasperated sigh and chased after her, knowing full well what she was going to do. She walked down the stairs and into the kitchen where her mom was preparing dinner.

"Hey, Mrs. Jauregui!" Camila chimed in.

"Hi girls, dinner isn't ready yet." Mrs. Jauregui said.

"Um...I was wondering..."

"Mom, don't listen to her. She's gone crazy." Lauren interjected. Camila shot her a "hush you" look before continuing.

"So...Lauren and I..."

"Just her, mom. Not me."

"Well, I was thinking that since it was the last summer before Senior year..."

"It's the only summer before Senior year." Lauren corrected but Camila ignored her.

"I wanted to take Lauren and go out to the east coast! My aunt Vero lives over there and I'm sure she'd be happy to let us stay with her for a couple of days."

"What about cheerleading camp?" Mrs. Jauregui asked.

"I dunno. Maybe we'll skip it." Camila shrugged.