Chapter 1

The centaur's aimed their bows at us. "We are terribly sorry, but it must be done." Pholus told us solemnly. "We cannot be discovered."

*****

"Are you ready to leave?" Kaihautu watched as I finished packing food for the journey.

"I think so." I answered. I stood up and faced him. He's dressed in typical Māori captain uniform. It isn't much, just a brown leather suit decorated with a few symbolic feathers.

"Good, let's go then. Do you know where Wirimu is?" Wirimu was my closest friend.

"Probably still asleep, I'll go wake him." I walked out of the twig hut towards a dry patch of grass where Wirimu was sleeping. "Hey! Wake up lazy bones!"

Wirimu groaned and sat up, rubbing his eyes. "Ugh, is it morning already?" He asked.

"Yes, and you would have known that if you slept inside like the rest of us. Why do you sleep outside anyway? Doesn't it get cold?"

"Grass and leaves are clouds compared to an itchy wool mattress."

"Fair enough. I've packed enough food and supplies for the journey."

"Ok." He got up and jogged towards the hut. I walked towards the tepuke being prepared. It was pretty basic for a boat, just two large wooden planks held together parallel by smaller wooden planks tied together with think rope. Two sails were being checked for damage.

"All clear captain!" One of the inspectors called down to Kaihautu.

"Good, and what about the other one?"

"Fine as well sir."

"Then we best be off." He replied and walked over to the front of the tepuke. I spotted Wirimu running towards the boat with the bag of food I'd prepared earlier across his shoulder. "About time." Kaihautu jokes as Wirimu jumps onto the boat followed by the two sailors who were inspecting the sails.

"We're ready to go." One of them said. Their names were Piripi and Hirini, they were twin brothers.

Kaihautu turned to Wirimu and I. "Raise the sails." I nodded and headed towards the front sail. Piripi and Hirini snickered as I struggled with the ropes. I got it under control and the sail caught the wind.

The boat began to move and was pushed away from the shore. I sat down and helped steer the canoe with an oar just as Wirimu raised the back sail.

*****

We sailed smoothly for days in search of new lands. I ignored Piripi and Hirini's attempts to make me mad. Other than them, it was a nice journey so far.

I stared out at the clear blue ocean. I looked ahead and noticed a very distinct colour change in the water. The deep blue had changed to an odd blue-green. I decided it wasn't important and we continued sailing.

*****

A few hours later, long after we had crossed the mysterious line, I saw something rather peculiar. I looked out the right side of the boat, trying to catch another glimpse.

There! A giant, spiky fin rose out of the water before disappearing again. "Did anyone else see that?" I asked, pointing to where I last saw the fin.

"Pab! You're hallucinating. There's nothing out th—" Whatever Hirini was going to say was cut short by the canoe suddenly jolting to the side. We all stood there, stunned at the turn of events. "On second thought, what was that?!"

Wirimu began praying to Tangaroa, God of the seas. The canoe was thrown to the opposite side as an enormous blue snake rose out of the water to our left.

It was hideous. It had nostrils were right between its eyes. It had green, webbed spikes along the length of its back and on the sides of its head that made it look a bit like a cobra. Its teeth were like knives.

The canoe was drenched with water and I struggled to reach the weapons bag. I grabbed it and pull out a sword made of stone but as I stood up to attack the creature I toppled backwards into the ocean.

I couldn't see anything but I could taste the disgusting salt water. I tried to reach air but I didn't know which way was up. I lost consciousness.