A Game of Cards

Snap!

A slave to the darkness. A girl with long black hair which tumbled to her waist in sheer glory. But no glory was hers, not yet.

Snap!

The man looked into her deep green eyes, trying to read her next thought. Clear black onyx, scrutinising her.

Snap!

When he spoke, his voice was like silk, running over itself. Yet, there could be thunder there too. He was tender with her, or perhaps he was simply being cunning. Amusement seemed to seep from him, no doubt amusement about her sheer helplessness.

Snap!

Long, pale fingers tap on the dark wood  table. Those fingers that have held a thousand lives. It made her wonder if he could remember any dreams he had. His last rest must have been eons ago, for even in his sleep, he is always busy.

Snap!

"What shall the stakes be?" he asked her.

"The stakes have already been set. I know we play for my soul. If I lose, I suffer for eternity" she replied, not looking up.

Snap!

"So, if you win you can keep your soul. But what do I get if I win?" he leaned back in his great carved throne.

"You get to see me suffer forever".

Snap!

"That's no fun, I see that every day" he complained.

"I'm sure if you win you'll take what you want from me". He rested his chin on his hand.

"You're not afraid of me. I admire that." he sat up straight.

Snap

"If I win, you will be my bride. Those are my terms". She looked back down after seeing him smirk.

Snap!

"Very well"

"You're very confident you're going to win" he noted.

Snap!

"It's not your lucky day, I'm afraid, dear Lily" he laughed, placing his last card down with a snap!

With that card, he won. She was his. His Lilith. The Bride of the Devil.