Chapter 4: My Feelings Are Conflicting

Chapter 4:

I already didn't like this woman.

From the permanent grimace on her face, to the faded, floral print dress she wore, she just annoyed me. The way she had he mop off dead looking hair hanging around her face while the front of it was supposed to be pulled into something that looked like an up-do. You would expect from what she was wearing, that she was an old hag. In reality though, she was probably around my age, maybe a little bit older.

At first I was scared of her, I stuttered when she asked me (in a very impolite way) what I was there for. I only got more intimidated by her when she scoffed at me for saying that my mother had checked me in the other day. Now she was just annoying me. Claiming that my mother hadn't called to book me in.

"I'm telling you she did. It should say right there, Kendall Clark, or Kendall Marie Clark." I explained to the snotty receptionist. I was quickly losing my patience with her.

"It says nothing here about any Clark or Kendall. I'm sorry but I can't help you." She replied, not sounding sorry at all. I was about ready to give her a piece of my mind when somebody spoke up before me.

“Laura! What are you doing? That is not your job. Get away from that desk right this moment.” I heard a screeching voice behind me. Turning around I saw someone that I could actually believe was the receptionist. “I’m really sorry. Laura is one of the more bitter ones here and she enjoys taking it out on the newbies. Pardon me for asking, but what is your name again?” She kindly asked me, without a drop of menace in her voice. Unlike the other girl, this woman was pretty and fashionably dressed. I didn’t feel like I completely hated her.

“Kendall Clark, or it might be put down as Kendall Marie Clark.” I told her, without annoyance in my voice this time. 

“Yup, you are right here. I says here that you will be staying in room number 43 with another girl. I can tell you at least this girl isn’t as rude as Laura. Again, I am really sorry for that.” As she spoke she titled her head from side to side, almost seeming as if she didn’t know she was doing it. “I almost forgot! I’m Perrie. I will be showing you around until you get the gist of everything.”

“It’s okay and thanks. If it’s okay, could you show me where my room is?” I asked. Maybe I could have at least one friend here.

“Yeah, of course! Sorry thought, I have to take your bags to be looked through. I don’t think you would try to smuggle anything in here, but y’know, protocol. They’ll be given back to you within the hour.” Perrie told me before motioning for me to follow her through one of the hallways. While we were walking she explained the rules and such of the center. I wasn’t really listening, just giving the occasional nod to give her the impression I was. Eventually we stopped at a door that had a big number 43.

“Well here we are. If you ever need anything you know where to find me. Also, I’m sure any other of the workers would be happy to help.” Perrie cheerfully said, doing the head tilting thing again.

“Yeah okay. Will my stuff be brought to me?” I asked.