Part 3

To any onlookers, it might have looked like the two of you were whispering sweet nothings into each other's ears on your way home. You had a tight grip on Bucky's arm, walking close to him; personal space wasn't a concern at this moment. Your slightly reddened faces certainly backed it up, however, it wasn't the words spoken but the closeness that made your faces heat up. What the onlookers didn't hear was the quiet discussion of information shared between the two of you. It was disguised so well, that an elderly woman even turned to say to her husband: "They look just like us when we were young and still in that honeymoon phase."

After a near stumble over a small crack in the pavement, the couple looked away giving you your privacy, smiling at the sound of laughter.

"The other women told me they go out at night and only come back in the morning," you told Bucky after you stopped giggling.

"We should find out what they're up to without revealing our true colours. We gotta find a way into that house," his mouth breathing warm puffs closely to your neck was already difficult enough but when he accidentally brushed his lips against your earlobe, you almost sighed aloud. You caught yourself at the last moment, but the electricity still shot through your body.

You agreed and moved on to what you were gonna do when you got home to not raise suspicion. If there were hidden cameras, you would really have to up your game and never let your guard down. Easy enough, you thought sarcastically.

Days later you had grown accustomed to the small things Bucky would do. It had become a tradition that you, the early riser, cooked breakfast and that he each morning with no fail would thank you with a kiss to the cheek, that fell closer and closer to your lips. It was your turn to give him a kiss when he left for work, and the huge smile adorned his face after always made you blush.

Your favourite thing was when it hit the afternoon and he would hold you close as you watched TV. He would unconsciously caress your body; fingers always touching you in some way. It was times like these where you could almost pretend that it was for real and that this was your life. You tried to wrap yourself in a cocoon, keeping out the fact that there was a possible life-threatening situation at hand, and that it was your job to take care of it. But you also tried to keep out the fact that Bucky didn't like you this way and that every little touch was all an act to fool the Williams and throw them off your trail.

The house actually started to look lived in with decorations and other homely clutter filling the space. You had also put up pictures of the two of you; Natasha had apparently taken loads when you weren't aware. There was one of the time you convinced the team to go ice-skating; Bucky didn't wanna do it at first but you coerced him out on the ice with a promise of watching his favourite movie together, and a man raced by pushing you hard enough that you fell pulling Bucky down with you. Natasha managed to catch the aftermath; the two of you bundled up together, laughing.

Another picture was of the time you had a few drinks with the team. Bucky couldn't get drunk, but you weren't one to stray from the opportunity to forget your responsibilities for a moment. You were in the midst of telling some story when she snapped the photo. And according to her Bucky was looking at you lovingly. "That man is so in love with you that it's almost vomit-inducing."

Your favourite picture was out in the hallway. It was taken the day, Bucky surprised you by taking you out to a fair. He had, after noticing you shivering, lent you his jacket (that you couldn't resist sniffing at the time), and was telling you about how it used to be when he was young when a photographer came by and convinced the two of you to get your picture taken. The end result was absolutely gorgeous. Bucky had an arm around your shoulders and you an arm around his waist; the two of you laughing, smiling widely at each other. The Ferris wheel was in the background with its blurry blinking lights in different colours, bringing it all together.

"Baby, I'm home," Bucky announced loosening his tie on the way in, "I met Amy Williams on the way in. She invited us over tonight."

"Alright, we better bring them a nice bottle of wine or something." You continued folding the newly dried clothes in front of you. He hummed, leaning down to place a kiss on the top of your head. "I'll find something."

Your blue dress swivelled around your legs with each step towards the Williams house. A gun was carefully holstered to your thigh, not noticeable to the naked eye; a necessary precaution. As you neared the house, Bucky's grip on your hand tightened in a silent plea to be careful. He let go of your hand to press the doorbell before resting it on the lower part of your back.

"Hi, we're so happy you could join us tonight," Amy opened the door waving the two of you inside.

"Thank you for the invitation," you smiled as Bucky handed over the bottle of red wine to Daniel. "Oh, you shouldn't have!" Amy's smile couldn't have been wider, Daniel nodding in agreement but still eyeing the bottle appreciatively.

The four of you made pleasant small talk before Amy had to get the food out of the oven. "I'll help you," you said standing up before she could object. You left Bucky alone with Daniel hoping he could get something useful out of the conversation.

As you walked into the kitchen you discretely inspected every room on the way looking for suspicious things. "Thank you for helping me, it's always nice having someone around who actually helps." Amy bent down to take the chicken out of the oven, the skin glistening in the light.

"I'm guessing Daniel doesn't help you much?" you said grabbing the vegetables and started cutting them into pieces. This conversation could do wonders for you in learning about their lives.

She huffed, "More like never. All he does is sit in his chair and watch TV whenever he isn't working, eating or sleeping." She began cooking the potatoes on the stove as she complained. "I'm sorry for laying this on you. I just haven't had a chance to talk about this to anyone."

"No worries, it's always nice to get something off your chest." you poured the newly cut vegetables into the salad bowl.

"What about your man? Is he like Daniel?" She stirred the potatoes making sure they wouldn't burn before looking at you curiously. You smiled slightly thinking about Bucky, "No, he's actually very helpful." She looked at you shocked and you quickly added, "I mean, I do have to ask him a few times to clean the dishes but he will eventually do it." The two of you chuckled.

"I wish Daniel was more like him," she said enviously, "You are seriously lucky and I hope you don't mind me saying but he is so handsome!" For some reason her words rubbed you wrong, the thought of her looking at Bucky that way didn't feel quite right. You swallowed the feeling knowing it would only do harm to confront her and it's not like you actually had the right. He wasn't technically yours.

"He really is." You agreed. She laughed moving the pan off the stove and finishing the meal. Tonight he looked especially dashing. He had cleaned up nicely wearing a blue dress shirt and a pair of fitting black jeans.

You started bringing the food into the dining room setting it all up. "Dinner's ready," Amy yelled getting the attention of the men sitting in the room across.

Dinner went well and by the end of the evening, you could see that they were both relaxed. You had successfully lulled them into thinking you were harmless and that they were safe.

"Once again, thank you for inviting us," you shrugged on your coat in the hallway.

"It was our pleasure. We should do this again." Amy said leaning into Daniel's side.

"Definitely. Maybe at our house next time." You exchanged your goodbye's before leaving their house.

Bucky instantly grabbed your waist pulling you in close. You both knew they were watching but the fear of them finding you out had diminished.

"I managed to put a few bugs around the house without Daniel noticing," Bucky said.

"I guess, we'll just have to wait until they say something incriminating." You slowed your steps knowing that once you reached the house they'd be able to hear every word. "I did see a closed door; the only one closed in the entire house. That might be where they hide their skeletons."

"Let's just take it one step at a time. No need to make them suspicious of us again."

You hummed in agreement as you reached the door. You could sleep well tonight, knowing that you were a step further in accomplishing the mission.