4

*CHARLIES POV*
It was now a Friday, and I was so happy because my dad let me stay out until 9 on Friday!  My plans are to hang out with Vic until then. Right now I'm at his house and we're on his bed watching a movie.

"I'm bored."Vic groaned.

"So what do you want to do?"I asked, pulling my sweater over my hands nervously.

"Go to the beach."

"Vic really?"

"Yes."

"No. I don't like wearing bathing suits."

"Just to go to the sand! C'mon I'll take you to one where there's no people!" I sighed and held out my pinky.

"Promise?"

"Yes!"Vic cheered, linking pinkies and dragging me up. He ran down the stairs, grabbing his keys and then continuing into his car.

"Vic your so childish!" He laughed and backed out of the driveway.

He started driving as he turned the radio on. I looked in the rearview mirror and immediately saw my fathers newest companion, Chris, following us.

"Vic speed up."

"What?"

"Please just do it. Please Vic."I said, fear evident in my voice. Without further questions, Vic stomped on the gas pedal and turned
sharply, until we lost Chris.

"Care to explain?"Vic said, parking in the beach parking lot.

"I'd rather not. Another time."I said.

"Okay."Vic placed his hand over mine briefly, before getting out of the truck.

He reached into the back and pulled out a thick, grey, wool blanket and his acoustic guitar. I smiled as he walked onto the beach with me. We got to about halfway down the beach as Vic laid out the blanket and laid down, his elbows propping up his upperhalf of his body while I laid down completely, resting my head on Vic's chest.

I'd warmed up to him and gained his trust, hesitantly of course. He truly was my bestfriend. I hadn't told him about my father or anything else that I didn't want to. And he hasn't caught on either.

"What are you doing for Thanksgiving?"Vic asked, silencing the sound of waves crashing against the shore for a quick moment.

I blushed, embarrassed to say that I would be doing nothing but being bet on and sold for the nighy during my fathers poker game.

"Probably spending it with my father, you?"

"My moms holding it at my house. She's inviting a bunch of my Mexican relatives over. My mom makes a giant ass feast. You ready for the long break? We better be hanging out all week okay?"

"Not sure if I can. I'll text you to let you know."

I said, causing silence to fall upon us. The waves being the only sound audible.

"I'm not going to school Monday what about you?"Vic said, we had Tuesday and the rest of the week off, due to Thanksgiving.

"Yes. I'm trying to get perfect attendance so that I can get some sort of a scholarship."

"Ah. Good luck with that."

We talked for a few hours, and Vic played a few songs on his guitar for me, until the clock ticked 8:30. I stood up, and sighed.

"You have to go, don't you?"Vic said sadly. I nodded as Vic got up. We folded the blanket and put it in Vic's truck.

I got in the passenger seat and dug my nail into my thumb. I didn't want to leave. I really didn't want to leave, but I knew I needed to be home in time for my father's poker game.

"What's wrong?"Vic asked, moving my nail away from my thumb.

"Nothing."I said, fastening my seat belt.

"Something."He said matter-of-factly, gesturing to my thumb.

He started to back up the truck as I opened my mouth, debating if to tell him or not. I decided not to say it blatantly, but hint towards it while sidetracking.

"Holidays aren't the best with my family."I blurted out.

"Why?"

"A lot of conflict. Not looking foward to it especially."

"My house is always open if you'd like to stop by. I'll tell mama to make extras, even though she always does."

"No my dad's strict you know that. I'd be lucky if he let me leave the table while he eats."I said, laughing to brush it off."

"Am I dropping you off at your house?"

"No your house is fine I can walk from there."Vic was silent for a moment after I said that, tapping his fingers on the wheel in thought.

"Okay."He said in monotone voice.

The ride was silent, but I never wanted it to end. Whenever I spent time with Vic, I was happy and all my bad thoughts went away. We finally got to his house, and Vic cut the engine. We both exited the car and met at the hood. Vic pulled me in for a hug and inhaled sharply.

"Text me when you get home. California isn't the safest of places."I nodded into his chest and Vic rubbed my back.

"I'll see you tomorrow Charlie, right?"He said, pulling back from the hug and walking towards his door.

"Yeah, we'll hang out for sure."

"Bye!"He called, entering his house.

I walked down his driveway and down his street, but once I turned, I full-on sprinted until I got to my house. I walked inside and the aroma of cigarettes, sex, drugs, and shitty alcohol filled my nostrils.

"Charlie, get dressed games about to start."Chris said quickly.

I nodded and ran upstairs. Their rule was I had to look 'normal' for the night. They hated the way I dressed normally. There was a dress hanging in my closet that had a note attatched to it.

Wear this from now on. New state, new start.
-Dad

I groaned and put the dress on. It was a black, tight dress with long, lace sleeves. I trudged down the stairs after placing my hair in a neat bun and sat down in the kitchen chair.

They all placed bets on me and shit as I sat quietly, as I was told. Finally Adam slammed his fists on the table and cheered, meaning he won. He collected his cash and looked at my dad, in approval if he gets to 'use' me or not.

"15 minutes."Adam smiled, put his money away and grabbed me by the arm, pushing me against the wall. He violently kissed me, and when I didn't kiss back, he pushed me away, and kicked me to the ground. He kicked my ribs and before I knew it, I was being choked against the wall.

When his 15 minutes was over, I went back to my chair silently, tears streaming down my face awaiting the next win. The night of games went by painfully slow, but when everyone left, I ran into my room, grabbed my phone and darted to the shower. I had 3 texts from Vic.

Vic; Hey Charlie what's up?

Vic; Charlie you get home alright?

Vic; Charlie are you okay? Please text me back.

I texted back almost instantly, pissed at myself that I worried him.

Charlie; Yes sorry I fell asleep! Stupid of me I forgot to text you when I got home.

I slapped my head, wincing as I hit a bruise and sat down on the bathroom floor. I laid down, taking out my blade. I pressed it to my skin, and just as I was about to drag it across, my phone rang.

Vic

I cleared my throat and answered.
"Hey Vic."

"So what time are we hanging out tomorrow?"